1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Katy (Texas) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 15, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Katy Times, an award-winning weekly newspaper 20 minutes west of Houston, is seeking a high-energy, passionate sports editor. The sports editor will be responsible for coverage of six Katy ISD schools, including the state-champion Katy Tiger football team, as well as two private schools. Candidate must be well-organized, must be able to take photos and use Adobe Photoshop. Candidate must be able to creatively design pages, using Adobe InDesign. Candidate will also help out in other departments when needed. The Katy Times offers paid vacation, plus medical and dental insurance. Send clips of stories and design of pages to tschaub@katytimes.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1502252

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

this is a Hartman Newspapers rag. Run far away.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

fixed

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

even by newspaper standards, the Hartman's have a uniquely retarded approach to the business.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This job was just filled in August. Anyone know what happened?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Again? This is like three (maybe four) times in the past three years.

7. I take a sort of glee in the fact that a paper that couldn't take time to call me back — and, come on, it's not even a daily — has such turnover. Maybe this makes me a petty asshole, but whatever.

8. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Go look up a Terry Schaub on twitter. Not exactly a typical publisher.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

You're young, keep this attitude and at least you'll have glee your entire life.

10. I know you're right. Sometimes — not always, I swear! — I get too petty and bitter for my own good. It just sucks when you see a good coverage area, want to be there for a while and have decent plans for it, and never get an e-mail back, while they hire someone who doesn't even last a year.

That's not under my control, though, and I need to let things go.

ITT: Newspaper opening leads to young writer reevaluating personality and outlook.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You're certainly not the first person to have those feelings and brave of you to admit it publicly. I suspect coaches and people in other professions feel much the same at times.

Draft saved Draft deleted