1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor: Kane, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoop Time, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Work for peanuts in Pa.

E-mail this job to a friend
    Printer-friendly version

Position: Sports Editor 
    Job Status:  Full-time 
    Salary:  $15,000 to $20,000 
    Ad Expires:   August 10, 2006
    Job ID: 625774

Description:
    Sports Editor. The Kane Republican, a daily newspaper in Kane, Pennsylvania has an immediate opening for a full-time sports editor to join our staff. Experience in sports writing required, also experience in page layout(preferably on Macintosh computers), headline writing and digital photography, as well as a good working knowledge of all types of sports. Duties include; sports page editing and layout for a 6 day daily newspaper; production of special sports supplements; supervising other sports reporters, taking game photos; covering sports at 2 high schools as well as rounding up recreational sports news. Candidate must also be proficient with computers. Candidate will be required to write and edit stories on deadline as well as design and layout pages on deadline. The Kane Republican provides extensive coverage of high-school sports to its readers, which can lead to off-kilter working hours, so candidate's schedule must be flexible. Candidate must have a valid driver,and a reliable vehicle. The Kane Republican is located in Northwest Pennsylvania and is a 2200 circulation daily paper. The Kane Republican offers an excellent benefits package: Health/Dental Insurance, 401K, Paid holidays. Send resume and story samples to; The Ridgway Record, c/o Publisher 20 Main Street, Ridgway, PA 15853, Email: publisher3@alltel.net

Do all that six days a week and get paid up to 20 grand? Geesh, for that money shouldn't I also have to serve as the publisher's chauffeur? Maybe I could mow the grass, shovel the walk and clean toilets, too. After all, they would be actually paying me to watch games, right?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Re: Work for peanuts in Pa.

You're also producing sports supplements.
    Um, French newspapers, we found out where those bike riders are getting their stuff at.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Kane is home to Allegheny National Forest. I'd bet the cougar/human ratio up there is fairly even. :D

The local teams are just as scary; average at best in perhaps the least competitive district (in terms of out-of-district success) in the PIAA.

Stay far away...

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

2200 circulation? Cripes, why even bother?

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Peanuts are more expensive. Look at it this way, at $15,000 per year, you probably qualify for food stamps.
    You can work for a weekly in Virginia for $10,000 to $15,000 more per year.
    What an absolute joke.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Anybody who takes that job at that wage is a damn fool. $15,000 to $20,000 for an experienced guy? Loosen your wallet Scrooge.

7. JME

JME Member

The journalism market: You gotta love it!!

:mad:

8. sportsbuff72

sportsbuff72 New Member

Damn! What do the writers make?

9. 85bears

85bears Member

I love it that they plug their 401K plan. Like the person would have any disposable income to contribute to a 401K making $15K.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The scary thing is, to someone out there, this is a good job.

It's certainly not the first one I've seen in this salary range, though most others have been GAs. How many applicants to you think this will attract?

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

While the pay is merger, it's about right given the area/publication. I can't speak for other states, but if you're at a sub-15K rag in PA, you'll be hard pressed to clear $20,000.

12. Re: Work for peanuts in Pa.

Ouch! Maybe I don't have it as bad as I think. Then again ...

Draft saved Draft deleted