1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor: Jacksonville (Texas) Daily Progress

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 1, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

Tyler was awesome last year, but a testament to the league's strength was that as the 1-seed, they lost in triple-overtime in the first round to 8-seed Panola. Tyler's two best players from last season have followed last year's assistant to Marquette.

And you're right about Paris; when Foy left for a North Texas assistant job, he had Hodge ready to take that program over, and Paris has been rolling still.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Fulce and Butler were both sophomores? I thought one of them was a freshman for some reason. They were as good as any duo in the league. I couldn't believe Hodge was Paris' head coach...he looks like he's about 15.

Dominique Keller (Kilgore, maybe?) drew the most hype of anyone in the league, but I thought he was an overrated ball hog.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

I think Fulce and Butler were both freshmen. Scott Monarch, Panola's winningest coach who had a 24-9 Reg. 14 runner-up led by Omar Thomas (JUCO's all-time leading scorer) in 2003, left Panola after '06 for New Orleans, where Buzz Williams got the head job. Williams left after a year, Monarch was hung out to dry. His wife still lived/worked in Tyler, so he moved back there for a year to be Marquis' assistant TJC. Williams lands at Marquette under Crean.

Well, Crean goes to Indiana, Williams gets the Marquette job, and Monarch finds himself the top assistant at Marquette. Fulce had already committed to Marquette when Crean was there, and Butler followed. They're both absolute animals.

Keller played at Lee. He did draw a lot of hype.. He led the conference in scoring. But I agree, I think he's overrated. He seems to be more of a super athlete than a basketball player. Obviously his abilities translate well to basketball, but I think you know what I mean.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you two get a room

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Leave the league? It's a JUCO; where could it possibly go?

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

It was just a ploy to see if he could get his way, form what I understood. They acted like they would play as an independent or join up with the region including McClennan. That would have been at least as much travel as the region they're already in.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Fixed...and that would have been a big drain on travel expenses if Lon Morris had joined McLennan's division. All the other teams are in Central/North Central Texas.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

Sorry. Always forget about the spelling. Like you said, makes no sense from a travel standpoint for LMC.

Draft saved Draft deleted