1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Jackson, MS (Clarion-Ledger)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Feb 17, 2015.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I heard your days together were over.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Not sure which made me laugh more -- the fictitious name or the crazy title (a believable one in an outfit that has "content coaches" and "engagement editors").

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The title is real.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"But the names have been changed to protect the corporate."

5. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

One of Gannett's corporate recruiters reached out to a friend about a position. A position at the paper he had left a month or so prior for a better gig. I wish I could say was stunned by the incompetency, but sadly I wasn't.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wrote back with only one line: "What's the salary range?"
    That should get me crossed off the list.

7. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Clarion-Ledger Sports Editor/Sports Content Coach/Whatever will pay between $55k and $79k. Most of the renamed positions in Jackson's newsroom of the future have very wide salary ranges. Me thinks most will pay on the low end of the scale.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I guess that goes far in Mississippi but you'd have to move again in two years after getting laid off

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ding!

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard from Zack?

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Word in these parts is that Creglow flunked the "interview" for his job, whatever that means. In other words, he didn't tell the people in the interview room what they wanted to hear. I've also heard that gave the C-L the excuse they needed to do something they had been wanting to do anyway. Gannett Mississippi (the C-L and Hattiesburg American) has a new publisher/president, and Creglow was brought in under the old regime. This new guy has been weeding out the old and bringing in new blood ever since he got there.

I only met Zac once, and he seemed OK. A little abrasive, perhaps, but nice enough, and it seemed like he did a good job in the time he was there. I do happen to know of someone who is very interested in the job (not me!), and he'd be a pretty good hire, if he decided to take it.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No offense, but you don't "weed out" someone who just brought you all those APSE awards. That's just stupidity.

Come to think of it...

Draft saved Draft deleted