1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Yuma, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by amoney, Jul 29, 2008.

1. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Hoosier is pretty spot on with his assesment of Yuma. But you're not going to see the D-Backs now even if you're credentialed. I get the feeling that it's not as fun there as it used to be. The guys I worked with there knew how to have a good time on and off the clock. But I don't know if that's the case anymore. And making regular trips to Phoenix and San Diego aren't the norm. But you are the SE so just schedule Saturday's and Sunday's off for yourself. But don't trust anyone in a management role there. No loyalty whatsoever.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

If you're a good-looking newswoman in Yuma, the opportunities are endless for advancement, on and off the field, as seen here:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080308&content_id=2413307&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Marshall, battling for a spot on the Cubs' final 25-man roster, met DelChiaro three years ago. The left-hander was in Minor League camp, and she was working at an NBC station in Yuma, and visiting Phoenix for the first time.

"That was her Minor League job," Marshall said of her Yuma gig. "I was doing my Minor League job here."

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Actually, Marshall moved to Yuma briefly to work out with Bengie Molina, who has a home there, but is not a Cibola graduate. There were several pieces of "trim" working at KYMA during that period of time. Not very many of them were competent.

4. Turd-Ferguson

Turd-Ferguson New Member

Anyone know if they moved on this position yet? I heard ther "higher ups" at this paper put a story quota on the reporters. They're required to write 12 stories a week now.
    Anyway, papers this size usually fill these positions in-house.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

My God, did the heat get to the man's face? Did he wear a Halloween mask?

Seriously, he obviously has either been abused or abused himself.

6. 12 stories a week? That would be almost impossible during the summer in Yuma, short of writing a column every day ("It's still hot. The Scorpions still have no pitching.").

7. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

12 stories a week. We had that request when I was there. It wasn't 12 byline stories. It could have been briefs, local events, anything that had a SUN STAFF byline counted.

That may have changed but it was never a problem making our goal when I worked there. It was actually part of our quarterly pay-for-performance bonus.

Bonus usually paid for a night of binge drinking to help me forget I was in Yuma.

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

There's not even enough room in that paper for every reporter to get in 12 stories. I'd take 4-5 good clips a week as opposed to reaching some double-digit quota instituted by people who limit themselves to making up one page per day, and spouting nonsennsical ramblings at staff meetings. These same people will send a sports reporter home for wearing shorts to the office right before he/she goes out to cover a baseball game in 115 degree heat. Said reporter will cover the game in short pants and sandal anyways.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Now that is funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. the champ

the champ Member

Any news on this opening?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

didn't freedom just hire two sports guys in odessa?

12. thebigd

thebigd Member

Tomas I think at least one new hire in odess

Draft saved Draft deleted