1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor in Missouri

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jla74m, Apr 30, 2020.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

You think so? D-I hoops? I was thinking like Southwest Missouri State...

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The newspaper in Springfield barely covers Missouri State.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My guesses: Columbia Daily Tribune, Sedalia Democrat or the Jefferson City News Tribune.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Southwest" was dropped in 2005, a positive move. I don't rate them in football, but in basketball they packed the house in the early 90s with Spoonhour before he ghosted to SLU.

RonClements likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Columbia is a 7-day owned by GateHouse/Gannett, which should also mean that the called for design skills and experience wouldn’t be necessary for this job. Jefferson City also appears to be a 7-day, but isn’t part of a company with a design hub. Sedalia looks like it’s a daily, but data on exactly how daily it is seems to be lacking.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Tom Rackers has been at the Jefferson City Star Tribune for years.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Rackers is a solid dude, so hope it isn't him.

I don't think the Jeff City SE takes photos, either. Same with Joplin, which I believe just reduced print days.

Kirksville is no longer a daily, and I believe their SE also shoots pics, but they are GannettHouse, so no design/layout?

Hannibal checks many of the boxes, prints 5 days a week, successful HS programs, small college to cover, no staff photogs listed, but they have only one sports person listed on their website, so likely not them.

I wonder how much included in that ad is bullshit, to throw people off the trail?

Liut likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1 on Tom. Real good guy who knows the territory, and the state for that matter, like the back of either of his hands.

I was told a few months ago Kirksville's ME (real good guy and the former SE) had resigned to take a position at A.T. Still University, or maybe it was at the Still-associated hospital. At that time, it left the SE as sole editorial employee at the paper.
    Oh … Kville ain't payin' close to the 35 or 40k or whatever the job ad indicated.

Regarding Hannibal, prior to the pandemic it shared sports resources with the company-owned Quincy Herald Whig just up river. Since Quincy Media, Inc. bought Hannibal from GateHouse, the paper has been improved across the board. Yeah, no surprise there. Under GH, it was a shambles.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Damn. Just looked at their website, and the only local person on the editorial side listed really is the SE. Lots of "regional" and Gannett stories.

A far cry from when I interned there about a million years ago. Pretty engaged newsroom. Was stunned it was a paid internship, and even more so when the grizzled outdoors writer hosted a going-away fish fry at the end of the summer. Some damn good freshly caught fish. Made spending the summer in Kirksville (almost) bearable.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Is this a job posting thread or fuckin Clue?

“Ooh ooh, it was Al Buttsavage from the Kansas City Kanoot, in the attic, with an ink cartridge dipped in strychnine!”

11. BKC92

BKC92 New Member

Aside from the info, these are credible papers who (I believe) all know better and would post their title with an ad knowing that the quality of responses are going to be higher. Job ads should not be a blind date.

Sedalia posts its info on J-Jobs when it has openings, and I'm fairly certain I've seen the same for Columbia.

Everyone is right to be a skeptic about the ad. Unless you know who's going out the door or are in the immediate area, it's not as clear-cut of a guess as some have made it to be.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted