1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Idaho Falls, ID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 19, 2007.

1. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

You're correct. Having your opinions is ok. Having strong opinions that contrast with those of your bosses and a majority of your readers is not only ok, it's encouraged. But using a column to express those opinions in a forum that is totally inappropriate -- not ok. Expressing those opinions in a way that puts your organization in line for a lawsuit -- ditto. That being said, I have a great deal of admiration and respect for the previous SE you're talking about. He realizes he made some mistakes, and besides, things have turned out really well for him in the long run anyway.

As for the scenery here and in Pocatello, eh, in my opinion it's a wash. I've lived in both places -- one's scenery is pretty much the other's. Nothing compared to the great views you get heading down 15 toward SLC, but still, pretty good. And, in my opinion, the outdoors scene is a lot better here than in Pocatello. Yellowstone is a couple hours away, so is Jackson Hole, so are Targhee and Kelly Canyon (two great skiing areas), and some of the best fishing on the Snake River is fairly close, as well.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Neither is a garden spot. That was a my point. Still, 2 hours from Yellowstone and 2.5 hours from Yellowstone is the same thing -- a long drive to get there. The scenery isn't really a drawing point for either town.

IF has its definite strong points (in the comparison game). Poky has its own. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

3. Minutemen

Minutemen New Member

Congratulations to Mitch. He's a good guy and did a great job in Idaho. I'm sure he'll continue th good work in Texas.

4. mose

mose Member

IMO, one thing gives Idaho Falls the scenic upper hand over Pocatello -- water. Having the Snake River running through the center of town, and providing a greenbelt, is a big plus. Pocatello's hydrological features -- the concrete runway of the Portneuf River and/or the slimy knee-deep swamp that is American Falls Reservoir, do not compare.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Drove through there once and stayed the night in IF.

What a beautiful place.

If it wasn't for the fact that the closest non-Mormon pro sports team is at least 10 hours away, I'd put some stakes down there.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Excellent point. The Snake in IF is a great place to hang out, relax and enjoy a little down time.

I love water, but I also love mountains (perhaps a little more than water) and if Poky just had a few trees larger than sagebrush growing on the hills around town, it'd be a great little town.

Professionally, Poky has IF beat in man ways just because it has a college - even if the teams usually suck -- in town.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Idaho State's football team is good, no?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Idaho State's football team is good, no.

9. YerkillinmePetey

Idaho State's football team was good, yes -- they won the I-AA national title 26 years ago.

That's not fair, really. A few years back they had back-to-back eight-win seasons, and they won a share of the Big Sky title the first year. They didn't make the playoffs that year, though, because they tied with two other teams, and those teams got spots in the bracket. The following year they went 8-4. Those two years they had Jared Allen on the defensive line (he of the Kansas City Chiefs and repeated DUI violations). The bottom dropped out after that. Last year they went 2-9, the coach got fired, and they're starting over from scratch. This is going to be a tough year.

Women's basketball is pretty solid -- made the NCAA's this year, couple WNIT trips the past four or five years before that.

10. fromdawntodesk

fromdawntodesk New Member

What's the latest here?

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The job was posted only a few days ago. I'm going out on a limb, here, but I'm guessing the resumes and such are still in the mail.

12. YerkillinmePetey

Indeed. We can't start bashing the U.S. Postal Service until it's been four or five days and your stuff isn't here yet.

This is prolly obvious -- due to the time of year we're about to hit, they're looking to move pretty fast. If you're at all interested in this job, it would be in your best interest to get your stuff in by the end of this week (even that might be too late), regardless of what the ad says.

If you prefer to send your stuff in electronically, PM me and I'll tell you how to do that (or you can get on the website, www.postregister.com, and figure it out yourself).

Draft saved Draft deleted