1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Huntington, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dan Quayle has a museum? I could understand maybe a library, since lots of presidents seem to have those. But a museum? What's inside that?

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular belief, said museum does not include the dictionary where Quayle learned how to spell potatoe.

3. Emerson Bigguns

Emerson Bigguns New Member

Huntington is 65 miles from South Bend. If it took you two hours, you must have been driving a moped.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had to know...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=South+Bend&1s=IN&1y=US&1l=41.6833&1g=-86.25&1v=CITY&2c=Huntington&2s=IN&2y=US&2l=40.883099&2g=-85.497498&2v=CITY

Is your 65 miles a direct flight?

5. Huntington is 85 miles and it's all two lane roads and driving through small towns, meaning it takes FOREVER. Obviously you are from Huntington because you are a drooling idiot.

6. boilerpete

boilerpete New Member

I am from Huntington (not originally) and I had the gig here for 20 years. I drive to South Bend quite often. It is about 85 miles and a little less than two hours. About 25 miles is 2-lane (Indiana 5), and the rest is four-lane (US-30 and US-31) and fairly quick.

... and I'm not a drooling idiot.

7. Busman37

Busman37 New Member

I applied for this job and was told interviewing wouldn't start until early February. The "Herald Press Watch" site has provided some interesting commentary on the publication.

8. boilerpete

boilerpete New Member

This job was filled a couple weeks ago. One of my former interns/stringers when I was the SE here, Austan Kas, got the job. He had been the sports editor over at the Peru Tribune (another Paxton paper in the same Central Indiana Newspapers Group) came over to fill in, and eventually got the full-time position.

Austan's a good kid with a big upside. He's a Huntington University grad and knows the community. He'll do a good job within the limits of what this position has. But with the crazy deadlines and management not committed to any kind of quality, it's still a nightmare situation.

9. Busman37

Busman37 New Member

Good to know, because I never heard back from them. Sounds like I should be glad.

10. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Ah, yes. The OTHER I-5.

11. afriend

afriend New Member

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on Mr. Kas' Colts article...

For me, it was the most disgraceful article I have ever read in that paper. And as you know from recent mismanagement, that says a lot.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Website is pay-only, only thing I saw was the lede. But anything in Indiana that starts with the words "I don't like the Colts" is probably not going to be popular fare in most corners of the state (and probably is going to be self-serving at best). Not a good way to get on a good foot with a new community.

Draft saved Draft deleted