1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Hattiesburg, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by satchmo, Jan 30, 2007.

1. satchmo

satchmo Member

On jjobs.com:

Company: Hattiesburg American
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    http://hattiesburgamerican

Description:
    SPORTS EDITOR - The Hattiesburg American, a 22,000-circulation daily in southeast Mississippi, is seeking an ideas-filled and results-oriented sports editor who will remake our sports section online and in print with a focus on local enterprise and personalities, strong opinion and reader interaction.
    Hattiesburg is the home of the (Conference USA) University of Southern Mississippi, as well as two junior colleges and a private college. Prep and youth sports are vital to this area and to our coverage. You will manage a staff of three reporters, an assistant editor and a part-time data clerk.
    The sports editor must be an excellent planner, coach, editor and designer/paginator. Knowledge of Quark a plus.
    E-mail cover letter stating your ideas of what makes a strong sports section — in print and online — resume and work samples to executive editor Kathleen Williams, kbwilliams@hattiesburgamerican.com; 825 N. Main St.; Hattiesburg MS 39401.
    EOE/M/F/D/V

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Not a bad town. About an hour from New Orleans and 90 min. from Jackson. A decent gig for a new SE.
    They do a lot of preps from what I remember, and USM. They don't tap into the Saints so don't get your hopes up.

3. BudMan

BudMan Member

What happened to Van Arnold?

4. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Anyone seen the sports section? How's the staff?

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

it's been a couple of years for me, but i certainly wasn't impressed.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And where is Hattiesburg re: Katrina recovery?

USM boosters should praise their manifestation of God every day that they have a football program that produced Brett Favre and Michael Jackson, else they'd be in the Sun Belt or Southland.

7. I've been down there. I didn't see the paper, however. But it was like 90 minutes from New Orleans. Seemed like a fairly decent college town. Chain restaurants and such. It's really in the middle of nowhere, but for a youngster with no attachments, this might be a very good job - especially with the paper's focus on Southern Miss.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Hattiesburg is about an hour north of the Coast. They got a lot of wind damage from the storm, but their biggest aftereffect was a population boom. There was a story in the American within the last week that it had largely dwindled away now.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

It's an O.K. paper...it's Gannett, so you know what that means. A friend of mine who works there said they went on a hiring boom a while back...but she's crazy, so there could be no truth to that. Hattiesburg is a pretty decent town

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

It's boring as hell in Hattiesburg. Plus, as far as I remember, a lot of the staff was older. Could be a difficult transition for a youngster, and knowing Gannett, they likely want someone with 10 years experience, and will probably pay him like he's just out of college.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

if you can put up with gannett, that could be a pretty good gig to use as a steppingstone. I thought they had a bigger staff, however.

12. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think the paper does like to do some enterprising stuff, so that could be interesting. As for Hattiesburg, I wouldn't say it's in the middle of nowhere – close to the Coast and New Orleans, and not to far from Pensacola and Panama City. As for the city itself, I liked it a lot, and it sure beats the other two Mississippi towns that boast Division I-A schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted