1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports editor, Florida Today

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wahoo, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Most of the job openings that had been posted on the Gannett job board have been removed.......... There's no company-wide freeze, but everyone is tightening up.

2. Junkman

Junkman New Member

And five in six years, Eric Girard (2000) , Eric Garwood (2002), Jeff D'Aelssio (2004), Ken Bradly (2005) and Ralph Routon (2006). And the revolving door on the copy desk isn't any better.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Did Gannett de-institute the last one?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ever since Tom Squires left, it's been a revolving door. I know that Florida Today is pretty much the middle rung on the ladder for talent in Gannett as it starts at a small paper, goes to Florida Today and then is encouraged to go on to one of the bigger papers. So it's not surprising there's a lot of turnover.

5. zman82

zman82 Member

i think the whole fucking journalism world is frozen right now. i got friends in the southeast and southwest who say there is no movement and there are no plans to fill holes. it looks like we're in for a very long winter folks.
    maybe i should have gotten that advertising degree instead after all.

6. floridasun

floridasun Member

Bump. Anyone heard anything?

7. What did happen here, anyway? Surely they must have hired someone by now.
    Is Ralph Routon still there?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The website doesn't has anyone listed as an SE yet, just a ASE and a SE for non-daily publications.

9. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

try reading the short thread.

10. Running Bear

Running Bear Member

Just bumping this to see if there is anything new.

Are they in freeze mode?

Does the assistant have the inside track?

11. boots

boots New Member

It's in Gannett mode which means the assistant has the inside track.

12. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

If it's in Gannett mode, it will not be filled. FWIW, I was told today Gannett will mandate a 10-percent reduction in staff across the board within the next three weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted