1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- (Flagstaff) Arizona Daily Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 14, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Cody Bashore is the new SE here. He was already doing work at this paper, as a stringer perhaps? His old bylines carried the "Special to the..." tag.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's going to happen soon, HanSense. At my shop, the word it that it's going into action in February; not much else is know though.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I heard the same within the last week or so. Thanks.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Been hearing that for a while (like two years) now. Are they putting one out west, like Gannett? They have enough properties in the western US that it would make sense. Otherwise, the poor folks in Munster or Davenport are going to working until 2 and 3 am.

It COULD turn out to be a positive twist, if it allows the local people to focus on writing and editing. After all, there are only so many hours in a day and if you have to paginate your own stuff in addition to writing it, less gets done.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

This shop and its job description has catastrophic-career-ending-burnout written all over it.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Latest word for us seems to be March, preceded by switching over to PCs like the rest of Lee. As a pm, I wonder what our deadlines will be like as well.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do you paginate your own pages now? I can honestly see pluses and minuses for this, depending on who you are and how the whole thing is set up.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

No design centers out West, Mark. We're on the West Coast and the one thing we know is that our page production is going to be done in Munster.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Strange. No changes in your deadlines? I mean, when I was working sports desk, we would have a 12 am off the floor deadline and, on the busy nights, push it. If you're on the west coast, that would be 3 am in Munster.

OTOH, might be a perfect scenario for a night owl like me.

Draft saved Draft deleted