1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Fayetteville, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 12, 2006.

1. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

Fayetteville's not Fayettenam anymore unless you go out looking for trouble - and can't that be said about any city that size? Sports staff is very solid - top in NC just 2-3 years ago and third in 2005. Coupla APSE-winning writers this year in Friedlander and Wiederer, Batten's a former state sportswriter of the year, Pope is likewise among the racing writers and the prep guy, Earl Vaughan, has been there since the dawn of time. The ASE's top notch and is in the hunt for the opening.

From what I know, this staff doesn't need someone to "come in and kick ass." Those guys are very self-motivated; just need a leader.

2. It's a military town, right? With this war going, there should be a lot of temporarily-single hotties down there. At least until hubby gets home with his M-16.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's quite the understatment. Pope AFB and Ft. Bragg are there.

And Fayetteville is the home of Putt-Putt.

Makes me wish I could apply. Going home would be nice. My relatives all live in Hope Mills.

There's some good golf in the area, and you're only 40 mins from South of the Border! And, of course, 15 mins from Tahoe.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Fayetteville is the birthplace of Putt-Putt. There isn't actually a course there any more, sadly.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

South of the Border is a wonderful place. We stopped there on our way back from our senior class trip 15 years ago (aside: holy shit 15 years), and though it was 3 a.m., a couple of the gift shops were open. I passed on an $8 keychain that had buttons on it that when you pushed it, you'd get "fuck you!" or "eat shit!" or "you're an asshole!" or "go to hell, shithead!" That will go down as a top-20 regret on my deathbed.

6. OldWhiteMale

OldWhiteMale New Member

I hear they've narrowed this one down to a handful of finalists. Anyone know how many or who they might be?

7. Brandon Plotinck of the Bakersfield Californian was in for an interview last week and rumor has it he didn't make a great impression. I've heard he had trouble renting a car in Raleigh because his driver's license was expired and he had to take a Greyhound bus from there to Fayetteville. Talk about an entrance. Another candidate is due in this week. Anyone know who it is? Whoever it is, I suggest he or she go to the DMV and make sure their license is valid.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Tough shit. Maybe he should have had his ducks in a row before traveling cross-country to interview for a SE job.

9. boots

boots New Member

So he had trouble getting a car. Big deal. Can he do the job? That's the question that needs to be answered.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Apparently, getting ready to be arrested for driving with an expired license.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Dennis Hall, ASE, DMN. Looks like the first Dallas shoe is ready to drop.

Draft saved Draft deleted