1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Fayetteville, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

The Fayetteville Observer, a 70K-circulation daily in North Carolina, is seeking a leader for its 12-person staff.

Ideal candidate will have a proven record of story coaching, creativity and generating high-impact enterprise. Our core coverage topics are college basketball, motorsports, preps and golf.

The section won APSE Top 10 in Sunday and Special Section last year, and the paper overall won first place in general excellence in the state press association judging. Come help us get better.

Apply to Brian Tolley, Executive Editor, at tolleyb@fayettevillenc.com, no later than Aug. 3.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This could be a good job. It's a good paper with some real nice people working there, but the town is a little rough. Fayettenam is kind of in between Raleigh and Wilmington and living there you'd probably wish you were in one of the other two places.

3. DownSouthDeskDude

DownSouthDeskDude New Member

Brian Tolley is a former executive sports editor at The State in Columbia, S.C., so take that for what it's worth. Sounds like an interesting opportunity

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

This is a good job. Almost took it once. May look for it again. :)

rb

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What happened to Southards?

Rockbottom, you'll undoubtedly come in and kick ass. Go for it.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The only two writers I know down there, Brett Friedlander and Michael Graff, are both great people and even better reporters.

7. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

The folks I was able to meet when I was near the f-ville area, Sammy Batten, Khari Mcgee and Thomas Pope are good people as well. As said earlier, its got wilimington and the rdu triangle not far away, so thats a plus on a day off or stuff like that. Overall, they do a good job of balancing out their coverage imo.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I second everything Needles said.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

good paper and good people. had the opportunity to work with them on some things and they were always helpful.

10. orangeyouglad

orangeyouglad New Member

I know a thing or two about this gig. PM me for details.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

PM if you have specific questions.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Know little about this paper, but it has the best slam name for a city ever -- Fayettenam.

Draft saved Draft deleted