1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Evansville (Ind.) Courier & Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Ethridge, Apr 3, 2012.

1. DownSouthDeskDude

DownSouthDeskDude New Member

I do know Randy. Probably the best sports editor I ever worked for. He'll do a great job.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Congrats to Randy Beard. Evansville hired a good man.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I knew Randy hadn't been at the Democrat in a while, but I figured he was still an editor elsewhere. They always had a good section when I was in that part of the world. Good for him.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Second what Dixiehack said. Section was always a good read while rolling through Tally back in the day.

5. Greatescape

Greatescape New Member

Don't think Beard left Tallahassee completely by choice after Gannett bought the paper and made changes he didn't like. Good to see he's getting another chance to run a department. He's a good guy who works hard.

6. Randy Beard

Randy Beard New Member

I just wanted to thank those who commented on my promotion with a few words of praise. I worked with some good people during my years as sports editor in Anderson, S.C. and Tallahassee and I'm looking forward to developing and building a staff in Evansville as the sports editor here. The advantage of being the columnist the past four years is that I already know the area. And with Tim having established so much here, I'm walking into a good situation as section editor. We've already moved quickly to fill the vacancy my promotion has created for a University of Evansville beat writer, so I won't have any immediate openings. But I appreciate the interest the opening did create and promise to let the process play out a little longer next time.
    As for my Gannett years in Tallahassee, all I will say is that I've moved on and I'm better off for it. I very much enjoyed the six years I was there under Knight Ridder ownership. I only regret I wasn't there to cover Bowden's final season ... Well, that and the money I lost on the house my wife and I remodeled and then sold in a depressed housing market 14 months after leaving. You live and you learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted