1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Elk City, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cowboy2001, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

$15k a year = $7.21 an hour.

shame on you, The Elk Citian. you are the walmart of newspapers.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My guess is it would be even less if the position is salaried, or if they stop pay at 40 hours a week (which some papers still do).

Having to work all fucking day, then cover sports would be a minimum of 60-80 hours a week. That turns that $15,000 into about $3.35 an hour.

Like I said, they can go fuck themselves.

3. Walmart? I was thinking more of the type of person who hires day laborers from street corners for a few bucks an hour.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I was paid something around that ... in 1996.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

... And I'm sure the phone was just ringing off the hook at 8 a.m. by Elk Citians wondering who was dressed as the rodeo clown last night. ::)

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How the hell are you supposed to become part of the community when you're working 60-80 hours a week?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

a couple of us should send them our resumes, take their free trip to shitburg and then turn them down ... see how they like getting screwed right back.

funny things is, tho, i bet they won't even bring a person in for a face-to-face.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What we all should do, if we get an interview, is bring in a hidden tape recorder, then when they describe the job, ask, "So I assume we'll be getting time-and-a-half overtime for all these extra hours, right?"

Then, when they deny it, whip out the recorder and tell them you're reporting them to the Dept. of Labor.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i bet we'd get this stare:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted