1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Elk City, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by cowboy2001, Sep 28, 2009.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This is like my first job out of college where I was hired as Sports Editor and three months into it found myself at City Council meetings and school board meetings. It was made known that I was expected in the office 9-5 and attending sports events in the evening was also expected. So much for having a life...I was out of there quick.

Going into my 14th year at my current job where they understand what hiring a Sports Editor means.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe this is Frederick's job. And if it's true that you are working 9-5 and then covering games, I wish the publisher a heart attack since he/she is wishing that on their SE.

3. flexmaster33

I love these bosses that delegate sports to some also-ran category, as if we don't attract plenty of readers largely for our section alone.

Nothing like being treated as though going to high school games five nights a week is a job "bonus." I love sports, but wouldn't be in the local high school bleachers just for the fun of it. We sports writers have lives, too :)

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In the current environment, it's a bit of bad karma to besmirch any opening.

But, jeez!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Even if I wanted to apply for this job, I couldn't give this guy such a portfolio. Our camera isn't good enough to shoot these sort of things. We use a stringer who used to work for us full time and has his own professional camera equipment to shoot those things for us.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The first paper I worked at ... in Oklahoma, no less ... the ME always referred to us as "the sports guys.." It was kind of funny... like we were from another planet or something. We were a PM paper, so we'd work split shifts.. put out the paper in the morning, then go home until evening. The other reporters would always give us dirty looks...

But yeah, there's a sense that sportswriters don't work. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've been asked, "So what are you going to do when you grow up?"

7. flexmaster33

Yes, as if sitting in City Council meetings makes you a grown-up...I like to think it puts them well on their way to being Grumpy Old Men :)

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I want to learn how to do sprots photography.

9. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

Lot of turnover going on right now at this place. They're also looking for a news reporter/photographer and an advertising rep. In other words, they're looking to fill 95 percent of their staff.

10. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

With 1 person?

11. sportsguydave

An added bonus: You may get to cover City Manager Gary Dumas:

City Manager Gary Dumas' recommended purchasing practices
    See Story in this week's Elk Citian.

12. sportsguydave

Another bonus: Softball in the fall in Oklahoma. So if your team makes it to state, you get to shiver.

Draft saved Draft deleted