1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor ElCampo, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Mar 10, 2011.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

From JJobs:

Company: Leader-News
    Position: We love sports in Texas; do you?
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: April 14, 2011
    Job ID: 1239716

Description:

The Leader-News, a twice-weekly newspaper located about an hour south of metro Houston, has an immediate opening for a sports editor to complete our newsroom. This is a one-person sports department that is responsible for game coverage, features, photography and layout using InDesign software.

Our next sports editor must be a versatile, motivated and organized journalist with a strong work ethic who understands the importance of professionally representing our company at various events throughout the area. He or she must be eager to contribute to an award-winning newspaper that has an established tradition of covering its community like few others.

This position is full-time requiring some nights and weekends. Journalism degree is a plus.

A competitive salary and benefits await our next sports editor.

Please send cover letter, resume' and clips of your work to publisher@leader-news.com.

The Leader-News is an EOE employer.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A job for an up-and-comer or a has-been? Obviously this place doesn't want talent if a a degree is optional. Just someone to crank out pages.

3. BrianM

BrianM Member

Stitch; are you suggesting that only those with journalism degrees have any talent?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not as a blanket statement, but if you're under 30 and want to get in the business, you should have a four-year degree. Especially is a paper thinks it's a "plus" to have. There isn't a shortage of good writers with degrees around.

5. BrianM

BrianM Member

I'm working in journalism without a degree. I'm pretty decent at it. It can be done.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

In all fairness it says "Journalism degree is a plus." To me that does not say a degree is optional, as much as the journalism focus is.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The best investigative reporter I know is an English / creative writing major.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

well that settles it

Draft saved Draft deleted