1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Dunn, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 13, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Daily Record is seeking applications for sports editor. The newspaper is a five-day-a-week afternoon publication which is privately owned. It is located in Dunn, halfway between Raleigh and Fayetteville. Emphasis is on local coverage. Applicant must have experience and knowledge of Quark and PhotoShop. Sends resumés to lfarmer@mydailyrecord.com or mail to Lisa Farmer, The Daily Record, P.O. Box 1448, Dunn, N.C. 28335

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What happened to Dangerous Dan Richards?

EDIT: I'm told Dan retired a couple of years back.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Dunn has seats at the ACC and the Carolina Hurricanes. Don't think I've seen them at all this year, however.

Last year, the guy from Dunn would shoot his own photos at the Hurricanes. Not sure if that was by choice or because of a lack of the AP wire.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow.

Dan retired a few years back ... still writes sort of part time. He figured out how much he could make, and still get Social Security, and they've come up with a good system. Not only does he still get to work - which keeps him active - but also he's been in the community almost 20 years, and in a place like Dunn, that's not to be underestimated.

Dunn is roughly 40 miles from Raleigh, and Appgrad, Dunn does not have AP photo wire, so if the schools or organization can't provide the photo, they either have to shoot their own or do without.

PM me for more details.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If anyone goes to interview in Dunn they can always stop by Cafe Risque afterward for a piece of, uh, pie. :eek:

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The burgers there actually aren't bad. I've heard.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You may be right. I, of course, wouldn't know.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You had the BLT?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

How in hell can you not have AP photo wire in this day and age? Is it really that expensive that a daily paper (even a small one) can't afford it? Or is it some stand about telling national to go fuck itself in place of more Locks of Love photos?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Anyone wanting more info on this job can PM me.

11. Pi

Pi Member

Is is an all-local section, or just no AP photos? That job could be a real ass-eater because of the split shifts.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No AP photos. But an attempt to make as much local as possible will be expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted