1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Dodge City (Kan.) Daily Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 6, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Halliburton's hiring.

2. At least the pay would be better.

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Well one of the problems is (and i think it's probably that way at a lot of papers) is in the past they've had a 2-3 person staff to cover all the sports in the area.
    Then they cut it to one and the people don't understand why there is one so you're expected to still try to cover what 2-3 guys cover.
    Someone experienced can probably do it, but what they're willing to pay is only good for someone just out of college. Unless you're a complete f'n stud then you'll probably feel overwhelmed after 6 months.
    I made it as long as I can and did alright until basketball season hit, then I just got completely burnt out.

Like I said I can give more details on PM.

The good news is the coaches and players in the area are great to deal with.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

So, where are you headed now, Damaramu? Getting out of the business? Different newspaper job? Just curious. Best of luck, regardless.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Poor guy. I guess there's a good reason nobody's ever said "It's time to get the hell into Dodge."

6. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

I'm heading back to Oklahoma City (where i grew up) and I don't know what I'm going to do. I've been thinking of going to work for the state. Better pay, better hours, better benefits.

And it gives me time to play rugby again(i played in college).

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Finding this pearl of wisdom ...

"You buy an 80,000-circulation daily and try to run it like an 8,000-circulation daily, soon enough it will actually BE an 8,000-circulation daily." (from Starman) ...

made it worth revisiting that thread. Truer words were never spoken or typed.

8. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Well interesting news on this one. The publisher announced he's leaving, and his last day is the 28th.

So that leaves this place with: two reporters (one is filling in as interim ME), a designer/clerk and a photographer/designer.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sounds like southwest Kansas is the Bermuda triangle for sports.

Garden City: No sports editor for what, 6-8 months?

Dodge City: Nobody left.

Liberal: Seeking McDonald's employees who want to make a parallel job shift.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All of which means Hutch would hopefully see its readership go up, seeing as to how it covers all three towns.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I hear western music as in my vision I see tumbleweeds blowing through what was once a thriving and bustling tri-city area now turned into one big, giant ghost town.

Then again, it could be salsa music I hear. ;D

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Garden City won't have one for at least a little bit longer. I told them no.

Dodge City has been going down slowly for years. There may be no hope for it.

Liberal: Three issues a week? WTF? That paper should be doing 5-6 days and have something like a 6,000 circulation. What the hell happened there?

I recently looked at Guymon's web site and there's a paragraph bragging about how it's the only daily paper in the area (OK panhandle, north TX panhandle and SW Kansas south of a Sublette-Ulysses line). Guymon as an area's journalism leader? Who'da thunk?

Draft saved Draft deleted