1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Denton (Texas) Record Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Snarky Arky, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take a deep breath there oh great political prognosticator. i'm sure you'll never be burdened with the task of assigning stories to anyone at any point in your life.

2. that's a bit of a stretch

3. redsox99

redsox99 Member

What's the history of this shop? I know they are Belo like DMN. Have they had layoffs, cutbacks and buyouts, too? What happened to the former SE? Denton appears to be a rapidly growing area and it seems, at least from the outside, that this would be a pretty decent gig. Course, from the outside a lot of places appear decent until you sign on the dotted line.

4. Run. Away. Very fast.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Second the Scribe's motion.

6. "Run. Away. Very fast."

"Second the Scribe's motion."

Seriously, could either of these two posts be any more worthless.

You're journalists, for Pete's sake. But you can't find some actual words to actually express your point?

If you've got a good reason why people should steer clear and you're trying to be a good guy and shed some light on it, then do it.

This junk is just pointless and gives nobody any information to make an informed decision.

And no, I've neve even been to Denton, Texas, much less worked at the newspaper.

7. Re the previous post, Hack, what part of layoffs, cutbacks and buyouts don't you understand? This is an organization top-heavy with management types propping themselves up by slashing the numbers of reporters/editors who do the daily heavy lifting. They have dumped experienced hands for cheaper labor, and the corporate types who run Belo are greedy and stupid, a bad combination in any business but especially in ours in this day and age. And the carrot they dangle in Denton, that you could be promoted to the DMN if you do well? Well, forget it. It's like the gap between the major leagues and Class A ball, if you're a fringe benchwarmer.

I went for brevity (and levity), aspects obviously lost on you. So why don't you apply and tell me I'm wrong? Or maybe your disclaimer is a case of protesting too much.

8. No, see, that was an explanation. That helps someone who doesn't know about Belo and the problems at the Dallas Morning News. That sheds insight on the fact that this job shouldn't be viewed as a steppingstone at the Dallas Morning News. That helps someone make an informed decision.

And I don't question that you are right — not in the slightest. I know zilch about the place or the paper.

I didn't mean to vent at you personally. I just think such posts on a jobs message board — and there are plenty of them on every job — are worthless. They don't answer anything for anyone. Someone should know why they should run away fast, whether it be a bad boss, bad job responsibilites, bad corporate management, whatever.

Now, they do.

9. zman82

zman82 Member

while the drc is belo owned it never really has been accepted as a true family member,more like an adopted kid's cousin. a few years ago the people in the newsroom didn't like being associated with the dmn and the dmn people didn't even know the drc existed. that said, there used to be a path to the dmn from here in sports but that well dried up when the former se died. the current regime was viewed as somewhat of a joke by the dmn staff which is ironic considering the shape of that paper now. needless to say there are hard-working people there but the leadership just hasn't been there in a quite a while. i'd say to expect low-end pay andextremly long workdays but a possible move to bigger papers in the state after a year or so. many former staffers have ended up in dallas, fort worth, lubbock and abilene so it's not a dead end ... at least it didn't used to be. PM me for more info on the drc or denton county if needed.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Zman knows of what he speaks. If I could have logged in last night I would have said something similar. Notwithstanding former DRC guy Tim McMahon being a DMN prep writer and DRC UNT beat writer Brett Vito contributing to DMN's college coverage, the DRC is kept in the Belo basement like Milton. And I worked there as well. With the cuts and crap at the mothership, I can't imagine the DRC would be a fun place to be right now.

11. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, zman is right about the tie between the two. I've talked to people who work there currently and they say they don't even really try to tell them anymore that there's a chance of them going up to the DMN.

The only reason Vito is in the DMN is because he replaced Tim when he moved on to be a prep writer. And actually, ServeItUp, Tim got moved up to Texas Tech/Big 12 a couple of months ago. The DMN always uses the DRC for their UNT coverage, so it's almost a stretch to say Vito has "arrived" at the DMN. I'm also not saying he won't land a full-time gig there because I'm sure he's good at what he does, but it's all a formality as to why his byline appears in the DMN frequently. Tim and Richard Durrett (Stars, Rangers No. 2) are really the only ones to actually get promoted to the DMN in the true sense of the word, that I know of.

12. For more glowing financial news about Belo, check out the thread on Journalism Topics. I reiterate: Run. Away. Very fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted