1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Buckeye, you beat me to the punch on your point regarding the salary. Charlottesville is a pretty pricey place to live (never figured why considering it doesn't offer much of anything outside of Thomas Jefferson historic sites). Could be an uphill battle affording the area off a newspaper salray, circa 2011.

2. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

BigEast is right about the cost. Charlottesville is an expensive place. It's an interesting place, too. It has very nice neighborhoods right up against not so nice ones. And there's more than just Jefferson. There's a lot of theater in the area, great concerts at JPJ (if you can afford them), good hiking and skiing.

As for staff...I believe it's four?

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Four full-timers including this position.

4. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

Having spent a good portion of the last 12 years in Charlottesville, I have to say that it is a lot more than just "a lot of Thomas Jefferson historic sites." This is a city that won Frommer's "Best Place To Live" four or five years ago. The "not so nice" neighborhoods in Charlottesville are pale in comparison to big cities or even Lynchburg or (especially) Richmond. There is a rich music scene, as many restaurants per capita as San Francisco and Paris and great surrounding country side. There is a reason why actors and athletes (Billy Wagner, Howie Long, Sissie Spacek etc.) make their homes in Albemarle County ... it is just a nice place to live. Stay there for a bit and the thing you will like the least is the actual University.

As for the job ... I have been CVille'd out. It is a big enough place to not feel too cloistered but small enough that you will see the same people at the bar day in, day out.

5. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

I suppose from certain points of view, there are things of interest and pros about Charlottesville. I lived elsewhere in Virginia for 20+ years. Have seen all there is across the whole Commonwealth. Me personally, I'd rather be in or near a big city, big market atmosphere. This is probably a pretty good job and the winning candidate may find they love it. The ACC is highly regarded in that region.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really? I thought it was six AFTER the cuts? Lord. So there's this position, Hootie and two writers? I guess the other two went to the desk centralle in Lynchburg? Whitey and Jay the other two? So one guy administers three people? Who actually covers stuff?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You can never have enough administrators in a newsroom.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This one is in the interview stage.

9. Anybody hear anything about this?

10. Jake_Taylor

A few candidates were interviewed, but the position is frozen, at least for a month or two.

11. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I'm guessing MG eliminates the position altogether, same as it has done at a number of its other "community" papers. Honestly, I was surprised to see this job advertised in the first place.

12. Jake_Taylor

In this case, I think they will hire somebody eventually. The managing editor is intent on restructuring the sports department and in an ACC town they need one more body. They will use the other standard MG practice, finding somebody or more than one somebody to do the job for several months on a kind of interim basis, trying to stretch it as long as they can without having to pay the salary. It sounds like they are trying to stall until the next quarter for this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted