1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Daily Progress, Charlottesville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Company: The Daily Progress
    Position: Sports Editor in ACC Country
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: January 24, 2011
    Job ID: 1220636

Description:

Help us make a great sports department even better, on any platform that comes our way. The Daily Progress, a 27,000-circulation daily in ACC country, needs a meticulous planner, sharp editor and forward-leaning thinker to lead a veteran staff to greater heights. The ideal candidate will lead an experienced team that offers blanket coverage of the University of Virginia and more for our newspaper, website, a standalone UVa sports site and whatever comes next. You’ll work with us to improve our depth of coverage, take advantage of opportunities for great presentation and continue to build features into the sports section of DailyProgress.com and CavalierInsider.com. We need an experienced journalist who can manage, plan, innovate and bring great energy, but have no fear of the digital future. Send a cover letter explaining why you can do the job better than the competition, a resume and examples of your work to: McGregor McCance, Managing Editor, The Daily Progress, 685 Rio Road West, Charlottesville, VA 22901, or email to cmccance@dailyprogress.com

2. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Is Hootie leaving?

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hootie is still there and still writing. His administrative responsibilities are shifting to the new position.

4. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

So the sports section of the Daily Progress is expanding?

5. Big Circus

Whoops, wasn't clear. The ASE left and they're restructuring.

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Gotcha. That makes more sense.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So - Hootie becomes the columnist only? Does the new SE write? Design?

8. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I'm hearing that Hootie will just write and the new SE will handle "administrative" duties. And I believe the DP is designed in Lynchburg by the CEC.

9. Big Circus

That's correct, from my understanding.

10. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Not only would it be a good career move, I would think about applying so I can work with a guy named Hootie!

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's an interesting setup. The SE will have no real say in design of pages. That's handled in Lynchburg. And the paper prints in Richmond. What a cluster ... it'll be all budgeting, reading stories, managing writers, etc.

ADD: Valpo, that's J'Hootie to you.

12. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

How many guys on this staff?

Can a family man afford to live in this college town on the salary they offer?

Draft saved Draft deleted