1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Daily Courier, Forest City, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Sorry about what happened and hang in there. Things will get better, even though you might not believe it right now.

2. slc10

slc10 Member

Gentlemen, I thank you for the encouragement. Sorry for the woe is me stuff but what they did my last couple of years there and how my termination was handled and what was said to me really began to put things in a bad way. I continue to hunt many publications that are still pumping as well as other companies that need someone who studied journalism. Obviously the results have not been positive but as Trace Adkins said in a song I keep tryin'.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, slc10, have you thought about training to find a different field? Or anything else, taking a few classes on something else to improve your skills?

If anything, it'll give you something to keep yourself from dwelling about your problems for a couple of hours a week, and it'll give you something positive to look back on. Plus, you can always tell prospective employers that you've been keeping busy, instead of just sitting at home.

4. slc10

slc10 Member

Unfortunately I don't have the funds for many things but I did consider taking a couple of classes. Also, I try to get out of the house if I can. The public library is a couple of minutes away and I can use their internet to job hunt, etc. I am a volunteer at a high school with the softball program as their public address announcer and if needed I am a lackey but they havent needed me for that yet. They just utilize my golden vocal cords. Oh I have applied to companies other than newspapers that need someone who studied journalism like hospitals and other industries.

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Just keep your head up and something good will break for you. I know it.

6. slc10

slc10 Member

Thanks Mr Myers. Unfortunately I have to close my 401K at the last employer to try and satisfy my student loan as well as rent and some bills like auto insurance. I don't want to do this but my unemployment benefits are exhausted and I need to avoid sleeping in the car.
    By the way, did they ever find somebody for this job in Forest City? Just curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted