1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Crystal River, Floda

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ogre, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

from journalismjobs.com. ....

Company: Citrus County Chronicle
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 20, 2006
    Job ID: 671715

Description:
    Sports Editor CITRUS COUNTY CHRONICLE Crystal River, FL
    The Citrus County Chronicle is seeking a Sports Editor. The sports editor leads a team of three staffers and several stringers. The sport editor and team members write and produce the daily sports sections, annual football tab, special sections and make additional contributions to the 28,000 circulation daily, 30,000 Sunday Citrus County Chronicle.

Successful applicant must be a strong sports editor/writer and paginator/page designer. Must be dedicated to excelling at local sports coverage, identifying and producing enterprise stories, and offering a balanced wire-copy package of college and pro sports. He/she must have the ability to lead a team and foster team members’ skills through effective communication, recognition, a positive attitude and routine feedback. Must be organized, deadline-conscious and a stickler for accuracy and fairness.

QUALIFICATIONS *B.A. degree or equivalent experience. *Two years in sports department of daily newspaper or four years with non-daily. *Expertise with Quark and familiarity with Photoshop. *Strong interpersonal skills. *Ability to work in and foster team-management structure. *Ability to quickly adapt to change.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS *Overseeing and coordinating production of the daily sports section. *Employing team management, manage and provide performance reviews for three employees. *Serving on the Editorial Leader Team and communicating department and corporate initiatives and issues of interest to team. *Coordinating local coverage for five high schools, the golf and outdoors pages *Hiring, scheduling and editing several stringers. *Coordinating with the photography team. *Leading weekly sports team meetings and communicating relevant corporate issues/news to team members. *Working on special projects as needed, including an annual football tab. *Scheduling employees. *Training employees. *Managing section space and work flow. *Coordinating wire service coverage. *Editing for libel, AP style, grammar, clarity, accuracy. *Writing crisp, accurate stories, headlines and photo captions. *Designing pages on Quark within parameters of general formats.

Please send cover letter, resume and samples to: Deborah Kamlot, HR Director e-mail: dkamlot@chronicleonline.com fax: 352-564-2935

2. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

I think it's "Florida," not "Floda," but whatever.

Hey, it's my first post!

3. zman82

zman82 Member

i looked but could not find, is this locally owned? the history page on their website is too long of a read. anyone?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

FWIW...Crystal River is a dump, populated mostly by retirees, and not particularly wealthy ones at that. The high schools, for the most part, are crap, and they play each other in district competition, mostly, so that means one of them will make the state playoffs in a lot of sports and lose by about 40 points.

It's geographically near enough to Tampa, but it's not near an interstate, so you're stuck taking U.S. 98 the whole way, and going through, oh, about 30 traffic lights.

I know bashing can be unfair, but there's really very, very little to redeem Crystal River.

As for the paper, unless they've changed their deadlines recently, the paper must be off the floor every night by around 10:30. That includes Friday nights. That means Friday-night football goes in the Sunday paper.

5. Needles

Needles Member

Hey, Mike Hampton is from there. And the Ted Williams museum is still there. Go, Citrus County.

needles

6. Pops

Pops Member

(... bumping real threads to the top ...)

7. Lifer

Lifer New Member

It's owned by Landmark, most famous for owning The Weather Channel and also the owner of dailies in Roanoke, Greensboro,Virginia Beach and a bunch of smaller ones.

Deskslave, last I knew the deadline was midnight plus extensions for FNF coverage. Also, there's now a tollroad that runs on a straight line to Tampa, about an hour to the airport so you don't have to take 19/98 down the coast, but make no mistake, this is no suburb, it's a self-contained smalltown community although it is growing fast. If you like golf and fishing, there's gulf, rivers and lakes all immediately accessible plus something like 15 golf courses in the county, some of them very nice, and you can get incredible deals golfing on summer afternoons when the seniors are done for the day and the courses fight over a small number of patrons. The cost of living is as low as you'll find in florida, crime is low, people are friendly and its quiet and without a lot of traffic. There's no college or major industry except for a nuclear plant and there are a ton of retirees but the population is getting younger with hordes of transplants from Miami and from parts north. If you're just out of college and single this is probably not where you'd want to be for more than a year or so - you aren't likely to have much to do.

But Deskslave was right about the preps, they aren't usually competetive out of the immediate area. I think Lecanto won a couple of state titles in softball and Crystal River used to be reliably good at football but now they're terrible. That's the extent of the coverage. No college or pro, just preps and features. The St. Pete Times has a bureau there that competes hard against the Chronicle but the Chronicle is widely perceived to be the local paper and has a lot more readers.

I lost track of who is still working there so I can't tell you anything about the newsroom or sports staff. It's honest and unglamorous local journalism. A good job to settle down if you're older or pad your resume if you're younger.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lifer hit it dead-on. I used to live not terribly far away and knew some guys who worked there. If you're an outdoorsy person or a golf nut you'll be pretty happy there for a couple years. The toll road is a big help in keeping you connected to the real world (Tampa), but it's still a long drive and pricey.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Floda?

You chose ... floorly.

10. zman82

zman82 Member

thanks everyone for the info. it actually doesn't sound terrible, but being close to a nuclear plant doesn't actually appeal that much to me. especially if homer simpson works there.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Nope. It closed.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The nuclear power plant isn't a big deal. It's not like you drive down main street and it's "gas station, McDonald's, newspaper office, nuclear power plant, Applebee's ...". I don't think you could get within 10 miles of it even if you wanted to.

Draft saved Draft deleted