1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Columbus, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Republic, an award-winning daily in Columbus, Indiana, is looking for an editor to lead its sports department. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic self-starter with an understanding of prep sports and community journalism, but a focus on enterprise and features. We're looking for someone with a can-do attitude and a good work ethic. The Republic is a locally owned morning daily plus Sunday with a circulation of about 20,000. We feature competitive salaries and an excellent fringe benefit package. Must be willing to relocate to the city. Send resume and a cover letter outlining your sports philosophy to Editor Bob Gustin at rlgustin@therepublic.com

2. TallSportsGuy

TallSportsGuy New Member

It's pretty close to Indianapolis and Bloomington. I went to college with a few guys from Columbus and they seemed to like it there.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Does that mean this place would cover Indy sports and IU?

4. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

They were covering Colts home games as well as a few IU football and basketball games. The past year they've been down to a 2-man sports staff with a couple of stringers. No idea if they would add a third person to the staff, which they would need to continue to cover the 11 high schools in their coverage area.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't know much about this opening, but I work at a sister paper not too far away and have had no problems with the company or the "fringe benefits." First time I met a Columbus staffer was in the Colts press box, so there ya go.

6. Well, add a sports reporter position as open, too. In a completely unrelated move, no joke, the other man in a two-man department, me, put in his notice today.

I'd be happy to answer any and all questions about this position, paper, et al. Just email me.... bjbennett22@gmail.com

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This is also the hometown of Tony Stewart, so expect the opportunity to do a story when NASCAR rolls into Indy. Not to mention the Indy 500 itself. You'll be hard-pressed to find so many big-time opportunities at a paper of this size. Of course, keep in mind that it's a paper of this size, which means you'll be doing a lot more toiling than covering the big time.

Also be aware that you will replacing one of the finest damn Americans that ever lived. Or at least one of the damn finest Americans that ever rode with me to nearly every Big Ten campus while we were in college.

8. bake1234

bake1234 Member

I'm from Columbus and interned there in college. Bob Gustin (editor) is a great guy and a good boss - he helped make me the reporter I am today. Preps is key there, but they do some good college hoops, too, and cover Indy 500 and Brickyard 400.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I echo everyone else here. You're not far from Indy at all and it is a pretty decent town.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow, so that means there are two openings. Good news for at least two people.

11. bwright

bwright Member

?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's not too crazy a request, bwright. And usually cover letter fodder anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted