1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 21, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1503975

Come work for the most read sports section in the state of Wyoming.

The Casper Star-Tribune needs a sports editor who wants to dominate local sports – that includes high school sports, sports features on community members and, of course, the state’s sports religion, the University of Wyoming.

The Casper Star-Tribune sports section has taken 15 APSE awards in the previous three years, including 12 in the past two. Our sports staff alumni have jumped from Casper to papers in Tampa, Jacksonville, Fla., Jackson, Miss., Salt Lake City and ESPN and Fox Sports.

The ideal applicant will have either had some leadership or management of a sports department at a newspaper, or has a proven track record as a reporter and is looking to take what they’ve learned and use it to make us even better. Applicants with design experience are encouraged to apply.

The job includes directing a staff of full-time and part-time reporters, assisting in some sports section layout, including special sections and special events. We’re looking for a sports editor who understands the appetite for local sports goes beyond a box score and who can contribute new ideas, as well as add a little polish to excellent staff work.

In addition to working with a dynamic staff at the statewide newspaper, the Star-Tribune is located in the heart of the West, where world-class fly fishing is literally right across the street, where skiing is just 10 minutes away, and where the great outdoors is more than a cliché.

The Casper Star Tribune is a division of Lee Enterprises offering excellent commission opportunities, medical, dental, vision, life insurance benefits, vacation, sick, holiday pay and 401k retirement plan.

To apply, please log onto www.trib.com/workhere.

Please include a cover letter and resume with references.

What happened to Zack?

2. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Apparently he's replacing Rusty at the C-L.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

That was my guess as to where he was going, but I had no information. He'll have big shoes to fill and so will Zack's replacement in Casper.

4. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Any idea on what this pays?

Also what kind of reputation does this paper have within the state? What did the paper do successfully under former editor?

5. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

Have a few formalities left before my departure is final, but Casper is wanting to move aggressively with fall sports nearing. I can't blame them.

What I can tell you generally: Sports news hole is robust; just had entire week of 10/12-page sections last week. Division I college beat (Wyoming). Still travel to 90 percent of away games for college football/basketball. Cover entire state for high school sports, although concentration is on nearby schools. Rodeo is big May-August. Existing sports staff produces big-time. Editor/publisher are very supportive of sports department, too. Previous sports editors, Dave Mayberry and Ron Gullberg, remain here and are invaluable resources.

What I told candidates for previous staff writer openings: If you prefer a vivid nightlife, this is probably not for you. But if you enjoy the outdoors and are curious/like to explore, this is about as good as it gets. World-class fishing, great hiking/water sports/skiing, Yellowstone/Tetons are 4.5 hours away and true Western culture.

It's a grind and expectations are high, but this is a terrific opportunity. If anyone has more specific questions, message me and I'll answer what I can.

6. izzygould

izzygould New Member

Congrats to Zack, a rising talent and a great APSE roommate.

Welcome to the South. #wafflehouse

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

One of my favorite things about Casper is its print design. Also, it takes web seriously despite not being a large paper. GREAT UW coverage. These guys battle head-to-head with Cheyenne to dominate the Pokes.

Not sure if a replacement was ever hired for Frederickson, who left some big shoes in Casper with the UW beat. A lot changes going on there in sports, but guys moving on to bigger and better things. Just goes to the quality of work they do.

8. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

Mike Vorel has stepped into the Wyoming beat job and he's a good one. He's been in place for about three weeks.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks. I better go add him on Twitter.

Edit: Another Missouri grad? Blasted! I'll have to hide my crimson and blue from him for a while.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, there are certain challenges associated with covering so many high schools spread out over a wide geographic area. Wyoming is rather large geographically, but not densely populated. So the result is an awful lot of very small schools and some serious bus rides.

And then there's rodeo, which for some of us remains an acquired taste yet to be acquired.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Solid paper. Has been for a long time.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Casper did lose its single-A baseball team (Rockies affiliate) to Grand Junction, Colo.

Draft saved Draft deleted