1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Cartersville, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 2, 2009.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Saw this at www.gapress.org:

EDITORIAL (10)

SPORTS EDITOR
    11-30-09
    Experienced sports editor needed for six-day daily (Sunday-Friday) in beautiful Cartersville, Ga. Will lead a two-person staff. Must have Quark layout experience. NewsEdit Pro experience a plus. Good vocabulary a must. Bartow County has five public high schools, two large recreation departments (Bartow and Cartersville), and was home to several current college and pro players. Must have both knowledge and passion for sports, ability to interact with management, coaches, players and fans. Must live in or move to Bartow County. Health insurance, 401K, sick leave, vacation part of package. Send e-mails to managing editor Joe Hiett at joe.hiett@daily-tribune.com

Couple of buds o' mine used to work at the CDT, which from all I've heard is a fairly typical small daily. Town is less than an hour north of Atlanta, so access to cultural activities is easy. Outdoor things to do are nearby, too.

2. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I've had some experience with this place. Joe Hiett, the ME, is a good guy. Probably not the best place for a single guy in his mid-20s as far as a social life, but it's not far from Atlanta. The actual paper used to be sandwiched between two bars. But it is a nice town to raise a family, I think. And it's a good place to get started.
    Biggest thing that sucked was not having a Saturday paper. Yeah, you don't have to worry about deadline for Friday night football, but it's sort of lame having Friday's games in Sunday's paper.
    Football is decent in that area. Cartersville is consistently the best over the years and the baseball is pretty good. Not far from Rome either to check out the Rome Braves.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hometown of Butch Walker for what it's worth.

4. KG

KG Active Member

There are actually several famous rock musicians from Cartersville.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I get out on the lake near the dam in Cartersville quite a bit during the summer. It's not a bad place.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I would not call Joe Hiett one of the good guys in this business.
    Also the hometown of Eddie Lee Wilkins.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Good baseball too at Cartersville High.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown went to Cartersville, former 49ers RB Keith Henderson went to Cartersville. Donovan Tate, whom I believe went in the first round of the mlb draft in June, is from there. Yes, they've had some great athletes. But let's be honest, the quality of the athletic teams isn't a sufficient reason to pack up and head off to any paper. It has very little to do with your working environment. So I say this: Do your homework.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I can't say anything about the working environment, but I like the area. It's close to me, and I go there for multiple reasons. If I could find a job up that way, I'd move there.

10. eagle9857

eagle9857 New Member

Guys, if you have any questions about this job, please ask me. I am the outgoing sports editor - Chris Stephens. I'm leaving the paper in April to take a high school teaching position where I will teach journalism and English come next August. I can give you all of the specifics about the job if you would like. E-mail me at csteph27@gmail.com. The reason this job posting is already up is so that by the time I'm ready to leave, they will have had enough time to make an informed decision about who the best person is to hire. That way, there's not a period of time where there is no sports editor.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Glad to see that good ol' Joe Hiett has been forced to put out a second notice on this gig opening.

Draft saved Draft deleted