1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bristol, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is from jaker23, who got one of those "warning, a new post ***" things just as I locked it. So I agreed to post what he had written:

wonderlic ... i believe you're confusing 2 guys -- "jmb" and matt tabeek.

matt is the one who accepted the job and opted to "bail" the night before he was supposed to start for personal reasons. matt, to my knowledge, hasn't said a bad word about bristol. in fact, he has stated on here that he believes this is a good job. he just chose to get out of the biz.

"jmb" responded to the new ad, commenting how it seemed the one thing todd mentioned was a shot at him. if i read right, "jmb" never said he accepted the position. he said he felt pressured into making a decision by todd ... and told him no.

i've had my "chat" with todd as well, and, yeah, he's under the gun and makes no bones about it. now me, i'd rather deal with someone up front (even if they're snarky and like to promote themselves a bit; newsflash, everyone, he's selling himself and the paper to you, the potential buyer ... ain't necessarily a bad thing).

i don't even mind his ad.

if you're not interested, don't apply. if you're interested, but don't want to be pushed -- then say "no" when he pushes, being fully aware that means you're no longer a candidate. i said no, and that was that. life goes on. my "issue" wasn't being pushed. in fact, i prefer someone who wants to move and not fart around.

this is reality, people. he's not going to wait and coddle you and hold your hand until all the stars align for the "right" decision or any decision to ease out your lips -- and why should he?

if you were in his shoes, would you? i wouldn't.

2. Moderator1

A quick update, the locks stay on: Jim Cnockaert has started in Bristol. Believe he's been in Bozeman and Ann Arbor previously. I do not know the man.

3. Moderator1

Also: the Bristol writing job went to Spencer Campbell, who recently finished his masters at North Texas State.
    The paper also promoted Brian T. Smith to assistant sports editor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.