1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bristol, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Class act. I know people with secure jobs are going to jump all over this gig, leaving for an unstable newspaper chain and a boss who is so professional.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

the sad thing is, some people will actually jump all over this. i thought about it, but asking to make that type of a decision in three weeks is ridiculous.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I agree, Riddick. There are enough out-of-work journalists (unfortunately) that Bristol can probably still lure a quality sports editor. But I'd enter this job with trepidation for the reasons myself and others have posted. I know the best thing about my current job is having bosses I can trust, and because of that, I'm extremely loyal to them. I don't know if you get that in Bristol.

4. Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas New Member

This is a good position, I've said it before. For someone who has been an ASE or SE at a smaller paper, this is a good chance to move up that ladder. The guys you'll work with are top notch. Allen Gregory and Tim Hayes are not only great journalists, but great people.
    There are opportunities to do some good design work, not only daily, but with special sections. Past designers from the sports department have moved on to other positions in larger markets. There are also writing opportunities available.
    If you're willing to work hard and want to make a difference, I can't stress enough that this is a great opportunity.

5. Grey

Grey Member

Sounds like you not only made the logical choice but were super cool about letting him know your decision ASAP.

Seems to me this guy's true colors have come out ... in a job listing, no less. Hard to imagine he'd be tactful to work under.

6. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Let me clarify a few things from before ...
    1. I still believe this is a good job for someone. It just wasn't right for me.
    2. "I'm so vain, I probably thought this ad was about me." But it probably wasn't. After communication from SEVERAL people, there are too many people who have girlfriends who want them to get out of the industry.
    3. I wasn't serious about stringing anyone along. I'm a straightforward person. I expect the same from those around me.
    4. I did actually mean "sophomoric." I should be more careful.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus New Member

the guy that posted the ad seems pretty upfront to me.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

thanks for creating a screen name, Todd.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I'm still trying to figure out how jmb could possibly think the ad WASN'T a shot at him.

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Wait. Wait. Wait.

I wouldn't know the editor of the Bristol paper or "jmb" - the new sports editor who wasn't - from any other schmuck on the street ... but let me get this straight.

1) You sent in an application.

2) You interviewed with these folks.

3) You accepted a job offer as Bristol's new sports editor and a start date and informed your current employer of your decision.

4) You bailed on these people just before you were scheduled to start, backing out of your commitment because your fiance wouldn't move, which screws the paper as it prepares for a huge NASCAR race and the fall sports season.

5) You're a "straightforward person and expect the same" from those around you?

Are you kidding? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, because, again, I'm just trying to get this straight, but from my vantage point you had no business whatsoever accepting this job in the first place.

Put the new, snarky job ad aside for a moment.

I do not see how you're "super cool about letting them know your decision ASAP." Your situation with your fiance needed to be taken into account long before you bent these people in Bristol over a barrel.

Now the Bristol paper has an emergency situation where they're basically back to square one and need a new SE in the office in three weeks. And the editor of that paper is catching grief on this board for showing "his true colors" while you're apparently the good guy?

The new ad is tasteless, without a doubt.

But that's fucked up.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I don't think jmb and the person who accepted the job at Bristol and later reneged are the same person, but I could be wrong.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are not wrong about that.

I think we've been around the block enough on this one. I'll repeat what I said earlier - good job for someone. If what you read here gives you pause, check it out for yourself. If what you read here is enough to scare you off, you probably aren't right for the job anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.