1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bristol, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tikisbarber

tikisbarber New Member

I've only heard good things about this gig, the staff and the section. Seems like a great opportunity for someone who wants to come in and kick ass.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I've heard good things about the gig, but also hear the town kinda sucks, though.

3. tikisbarber

tikisbarber New Member

Obama seemed to like it. ;)

http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/consumer/article/obama_vows_affordable_health_care_for_america/10399/

4. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Since the other thread was locked for obvious reasons, I figured I'd post this here.

From what I've heard the SE job is OPEN!!! I won't get into the details. I'm not sure but I would assume that the SE job and sports writer jobs are both open.

5. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

any idea why?

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

He said he wasn't going to get into the details. I'm assuming he knows why.

7. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

anyone ELSE know why... ah forget it

8. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

If you want details, e-mail me. All I know is that the person who previously accepted it has now turned it down.

9. Matt_Tabeek

Matt_Tabeek New Member

This should probably come from me, since I'm the one who accepted the job and then turned it down. My situation had nothing to do with The Bristol Herald Courier. This job could be a great opportunity for the right person and the managing editor there, Todd Foster, seems like he'd be a great person to work for.

As for "the details" ... I have decided to get out of the newspaper business for personal (family) reasons. It's really that simple. I've got a young family (three kids) and need to be home more. After 12 years of working second shift, well, I'm sure you all get the picture ...

Take care and good luck to all of you.

Matt

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Best of luck to ya, Matt.

11. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Given the way the business is nowadays and family that decision certainly seems fair to me. Best of luck, Matt.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

JJobs re-posted the job, so I thought I might give it a bump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.