1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bristol, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dead wrong.

I go every time I'm in town.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I concur that this job, and the boss that goes with it, will be a plum gig for someone. But just not me, not now.

rb

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, but the *clap, clap, clap clap clap* portion of our site is the exclusive property of the "Amy Winehouse" thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Are you referring to Sam Jackson, who has left? Or are you talking about Todd Foster, who is the ME? If you're referring to Todd, someone (I can't remember who) posted a very detailed post about the environment in which Todd puts the Herald-Courier staff.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh I hear ya. Not to mention the city gets my seal of approval from going through it on my spring trip...

6. Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas New Member

This is a great gig for anyone who's ready to be a leader. You'll work with a tremendous staff. Allen Gregory, Bucky Dent and Tim Hayes are hard and talented workers. I don't know much about the new editions, but I hear they've got loads of talent too. If you love design you'll get some great opportunities to do some cool stuff. There's also plenty of writing opportunities. The two NASCAR events are huge deals in the area and great chances to shine with big-time coverage.

7. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

spup: Don't believe everything you read. I've got a friend there who works for Foster. The poster who trashed him was a disgruntled ex-staffer whose girlfriend Foster refused to hire as a news reporter. She later was fired from the web site. Foster was a longtime investigative reporter in Portland Oregon and Spokane Wash. Maybe he wasn't diplomatic enough for this ex-staffer.

8. Swing and a miss, Judge. I know the person you're alluding to very well, and he is not the Disgruntled Ex-Staffer. Nor does he have any reason to be disgruntled, considering his stint at the BHC helped him land a much better job.

9. And don't believe everything you've heard. I assume you were referring to me as the "disgruntled ex-staffer", since my fiancee was working for the Web site. I've posted nothing but positive things about Bristol. Farkas is right -- Bucky, Tim and Allen are fantastic, as was Sam. It's a decent job, with its positives and negatives (like just about every paper these days).

Why would I be disgruntled? I'm working at a much larger paper for much more money. I left on good terms, hence my recommendation for the job opening when I left last May. In fact, I still stay in touch with the guys at Bristol, from time to time. If I was disgruntled, why would I recommend the job?

And she wasn't fired. I don't think anyone has ever been fired from the Web site. She quit, and gave notice, to move cross-country with me. Also, she never even interviewed for a job with Todd. She was at the Web site already when he started and was no longer interested in print media.

Get your facts straight before you start throwing out accusations about who posted what. Because it certainly wasn't me.

10. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

11. I kind of have to be, because the only two staffers who have left are myself and Seth Bartee, whose wife was not a journalist. Tell your friend who works there that he/she is wrong. I have no reason to be unhappy with my time in Bristol. I liked it there.

12. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

Don't know any of the players firsthand, but if Bristol scored you a better gig, good on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.