1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bristol, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I give the Moddy Seal to every job that comes up here and I give it again. You can do some very good things in this job.

Position: Crackerjack Sports Editor
    Company: Bristol Herald Courier
    Job Status: Full-time
    Ad Expires: July 6, 2008
    Job ID: 931567

Description:
    Have you been downsized or bought out by a metro and want a soft landing in God’s country? Or are you an assistant sports editor who’s ready to run the show? The Bristol Herald Courier, a 40,000-circulation daily on the Tennessee-Virginia line, is looking for a sports editor to lead its award-winning staff.

We cover 40 plus high schools, a half-dozen small colleges, a Division I school, a minor league baseball team and, oh yeah, two of NASCAR’s most popular races, each drawing 160,000 at what is considered the sport’s favorite track.

We have first-rate preps writers, one of NASCAR’s preeminent beat writers, a talented designer and our first APSE writing winner in recent memory. We’re only lacking a leader.

The person we’re after should be able to help craft eye-catching designs that will be accentuated by a two-year-old German KBA Comet press, which prints color on every page. This person should be able to motivate a talented staff, plan and allocate coverage, produce special sections and write as little or as much as he or she wants. Bonus points for multimedia experience; we work closely with our Web and television partners.

We offer a competitive salary, low cost of living, excellent benefits and a generous relocation package. If you’re a serious candidate, not a resume carpet bomber, then send resume, cover letter, and design and writing samples to J. Todd Foster, managing editor, at jfoster@bristolnews.com or by snail mail at P.O. Box 609, Bristol, Va., 24203.

When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at
    JournalismJobs.com. Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com - (c) 1998-2006.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They must not have had many bites the first time they posted this.

3. Moderator1

They had some, I couldn't tell you for sure how many. I know they had one situation that just didn't work out because of timing of move or whatever. Not sure about the rest of the applicants. I know they aren't going to settle. It's a good job, I would think they'd get a very good pool.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I liked "resume carpet bomber."

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Regarding the quality of applicants .... I wonder if that quality has dropped the past couple of years or so. With the unjustified panic the business is in right now, it's possible more of the potential quality applicants have either left the industry or are more interested in getting out than in finding a next-step-up-the-ladder newspaper job.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good question, coffee. But in today's biz I wonder if there's more applicants from already-high-on-the-ladder, if you will, who are looking to flee bad situations and don't mind downsizing if it means staying in newspapers.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Will there be any writing to go with this gig? Seems like all SE openings at papers this size and larger are only looking for a management type people and not someone who wants to write.

8. tikisbarber

tikisbarber New Member

From the ad:

"and write as little or as much as he or she wants."

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I gotta start taking design classes on my own. This gig sounds superb, but I have no design skills.

10. Moderator1

None? Because it is a great gig. Too many smaller shops overload their SEs with design work and it makes it difficult to plan, do enterprise, take on a writing project, coach writers beyond basic editing. This one is a very good mix and someone ambitious will get a good chance to get a lot done.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Plus, you'd get to eat at Cootie Brown's.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Overrated!

*clap clap clapclapclap*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.