1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Appgrad05, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Since this is just over a year ago, thought I'd just bump this back to the top since there's another SE opening.

Sports editor

The Herald-Times in Bloomington, Ind., is looking for the perfect fit to lead our award–winning sports department in a beautiful Big Ten community. The successful candidate will have a passion for covering Indiana University and local high school sports in a way that will exceed the expectations of rabid fans; strong news skills and the fire to go after difficult stories; leadership abilities to get the best out of a talented staff; and top-level writing, editing and design IQ. Equally important is a demonstrated zest for using new technologies to tell stories and satisfy the appetites of readers, no matter how they want their sports fix delivered.

E-mail cover letter, resume and two writing samples to ksutton@heraldt.com or mail to The Herald-Times, Attn: Human Resources, P.O. Box 909, Bloomington, IN 47402. Deadline to apply: August 6.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Where's Korman going?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Chris is headed to Baltimore to be the enterprise editor, Sunday editor and write a blog column.
    Feel free to PM with any questions.

4. Duton

Duton Member

Whoever gets the job gets to preside over both Appgrad and myself, so feel free to PM me as well on this. An important thing to keep in mind is that this job includes a lot of writing. Chris wrote columns from almost every IU football and basketball game this season. Everything but fly trips. Management is obviously the most important part of the job, but just know there is more writing involved than desk work.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good job, good paper, good staff, good area. They've come a long way from their IU homer days under Hammel.

SE's being part of the writing staff is kind of an Indiana thing at the mid-sized dailies. There's another SE at a nearby, similar-sized paper who does his share of writing too. :D

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Korman was fantastic in Bloomington. In my limited dealings with him, I found him not just professional but extremely courteous and kind. Glad he's moving up in the world.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Co-sign. He's a helluva writer, too.

8. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Bump.

Last day to apply is Friday. It's a good job. It really is. You'll work with good people, and you'll be encouraged to make your vision for what a sports section should be a reality. Not sure you could ask for much more.

Feel free to PM, of course.

9. batts

batts Member

Draft saved Draft deleted