1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Bloomington (Ind.) Herald-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Appgrad05, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

From APSE:
    The Herald-Times in Bloomington, Ind., is looking for the perfect fit to lead our award-winning sports department in a beautiful Big Ten community.

The successful candidate will have a passion for covering Indiana University and local high school sports in a way that will exceed the expectations of rabid fans; strong news skills and the fire to go after difficult stories, like ones involving big-time coaches who violate rules; leadership abilities to get the best out of a talented staff; and top-level writing, editing and design IQ. Equally important is a demonstrated zest for using new technologies to tell stories and satisfy the appetites of readers, no matter how they want their sports fix delivered.

Deadline to apply: Friday, May 1.
    Send cover letter, resume and up to three writing samples to: ksutton@heraldt.com.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow. This is a stunner and a good gig.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I used to keep tabs on goings-on down there but it's been a while...who's leaving? How big is the staff now?

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Doug Wilson is leaving for a job working with a non-profit in town.
    The staff is at eight, including the SE position. Seven full-timers, and one part-timer.
    We have two full-time writers, two full-time deskers, two who do a bit of both, the part-timer and the SE position (which, traditionally, has been another writer's position).
    If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM.

5. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

I share a cubicle space with the above. So after you PM him and he tells you how great he is, you can PM me and I can tell you the truth.

(I kid, App, I kid.)

6. When one of you in-house guys gets promoted to this gig, I'll take the writing job left behind, thank-you.
    :)

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know you say that as a joke but that move wouldn't surprise me given the current economic climate.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

No disrespect to the guys at the paper, but there is definitely a lot of VERY talented people out there. This is definitely a buyers market and they could come up with quite a catch for this gig.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's true, but given the way things are. I'm sure the boys upstairs will give a hard look to someone in house for morale purposes. It would be a logical thing to do.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Kind of like a coaching search: do you promote a qualified assistant or go outside the organization? Either way, I suspect they will find someone very good.

11. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Yeah
    i don't want to be the editor but i certainly want the opening for a writer when it comes, even though the parttimer will likely get it if he wants it, is this Lynn Houser's job to take? And yes, I'd inflict sequential and incremental pain and suffering on others to get an interview for the writer opening that will likely follow and to get the anticipated opening, i'd likely insert a sharp surgical instrument and turn the blade several times,,, it that's what it takes, ha ha

12. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

any word on this. i know deadline was last week. just checking.

Draft saved Draft deleted