1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor | Bismarck (ND) Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The Bismarck Tribune is seeking a sports editor.

The Tribune, located in North Dakota’s capital city, covers six high schools and three colleges in Bismarck-Mandan. There’s also a Northwoods baseball team and an indoor football team. We also cover numerous area high school teams.

We are looking for an editor who can balance print and digital needs; find ways to vary coverage; and make the best use of two staffers. At least five years of experience wanted.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our Web site at www.bismarcktribune.com and learn more about our company at www.lee.net

Interested applicants may apply at www.bismarcktribune.com/workhere.

2. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

I work 100 miles from here and know the coverage area pretty well. Person who gets this would have his/her hands full. There's a lot going on.

3. dm19

dm19 Member

I live in this area. I will say this: I've seen much better out of this sports section than the public has received from it in the years under the current sports editor, but from what I hear his hands have been tied by budget cuts.

Their high school coverage used to be meticulously planned, detailed, wide-ranging across the western and central part of the state, and generally pretty good. Today, you're lucky if you'd get one high school football game recap in a Saturday issue. Features? Ha! What are those? The content has just been sorely lacking.

To my knowledge, the Tribune is also part of a Lee Newspapers design hub so you think they could be out there covering as much as they can. I'm sure the pay could be better elsewhere, but if you're looking to sink your teeth in as a sports editor and control your own section for a couple years, go after this one. I would have 5-10 years ago (but that's also when they had the staff they had 5-10 years ago).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  4. peacer84

peacer84 Member

The section has gone downhill for awhile, partly because of those stuck in routines and partly because the paper has really pulled a lot of its resources. Make no mistake, though, this is the central hub for state championship athletics, as far as North Dakota is concerned. Both of the previous SE (just two in over 20 years) covered the HS beat, but your HS teams are in pretty much every state championship in every sport. It's also a really nice area and a fun city.

Two JUCOs are OK. Four-year private school in NCAA D2 is good in some minor sports, not great in the major sports. For HS sports, it is the powerhouse area of ND.

Lot of hours. Lot of work. I'm sure the pay has declined from where it was. But a heckuva resume builder. I find it funny they want someone with five years experience. The ideal candidate for this job is a small-paper SE with a staff of two who is looking to move up. Whoever you are out there. :)

I'm sure management would love to get someone in there who will be there for 15 years. But with the state of Lee Enterprises and this paper, I'm not sure how they figure that's a realistic possibility.

Ryan Holmgren likes this.
  5. peacer84

peacer84 Member

Filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted