1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Atlanta, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JournalSports, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JournalSports

JournalSports New Member

Company: The Citizens Journal; A.S.P. Westward, L.P.
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary:Negotiable
    The Citizens Journal of Atlanta, TX is currently looking for a sports editor. This is a full time position with benefits. Journal sports covers five high high schools: Atlanta, Queen City, Linden-Kildare, McLeod and Bloomburg. Three of the schools have football and volleyball while the others play basketball, softball and baseball. The job requires that you have flexible hours during the school year as you will be the only sports person.
    Atlanta is a small town just south (30 miles) of Texarkana, about 50 miles northwest of Shreveport and 2 1/2 hours east of Dallas.
    Applicant must have strong writing skills and experience is preferred. Knowledge of basic photography is helpful but not a must. Position requires very limited layout work. If you are interested in this position, please fax your resume, cover letter and 3-5 clips to (903)796-3294 or email to news@atlantacitizensjournal.com.
    If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask or PM me. As I currently hold the position, I should be able to answer them!

2. JournalSports

JournalSports New Member

Additional info/opinions on this job as I didn't want to bog down the original post with this.
    We go to press three times a week (Mon, Tues, Fri). The Journal is comes out twice a week and a sister paper (for Linden-Kildare) is published weekly. Although you are responsible for five schools it is made easier by the help of "stringers"; although they are probably not your normal idea of a stringer. You will have a lot of freedom, basically setting and maintaining your own schedule. There have been people who held the position and rarely came in to the office. The coaches in the area are great; very helpful as they want their kids in the paper as often as possible. There are a lot of opportunities for some great stories. Atlanta and the surrounding area have produced great athletes and the community likes to keep up with what they are doing at the college or professional level.
    In my opinion, this is a great job for someone who is new to the game and loves high school sports or for someone who is looking to slow down. We're not a rush, rush, rush place and if you don't have games you'll be home by 2 p.m. every day. Also, the area is beautiful. Cost of living is very reasonable and unlike a lot of the nation, our area is actually growing and prospering.

3. esport12

esport12 Member

Is this Regan Stanley's old gig?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I bought gas for 59 cents a gallon at an EZ-Mart in Atlanta in 1986.

That's all I got.

5. JournalSports

JournalSports New Member

It's still Raegan's job (that being me) until Thursday. You know anybody that's interested?

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Could this be the only paper in the country that has to include the state with an Atlanta, Ga., dateline, but might refer to Atlanta, Texas, merely as Atlanta?

And that's all I have to add.

7. esport12

esport12 Member

Where you off to Raegan?

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It's not inconceivable one could cover games in Paris and/or Athens and only drive about two hours.

9. Football_Bat

And it's not inconceivable all three could be in the same playoff bracket. (As long as big school Liberty-Eylau misses the playoffs.)

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We had the same issue with Philadelphia, Miss., when I used to work in Meridian.

11. JournalSports

JournalSports New Member

You can also travel to Pittsburg in under an hour and (New) Boston in about 35 minutes!
    esport - A)Who is this? B) I took a teaching/assistant coaching position with one of the schools I've been covering.

12. Football_Bat

This Atlanta even has a suburb!

Queen City.

Draft saved Draft deleted