1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Andalusia, Ala.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 3, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Boone Newspapers, In., is currently recruiting editors and sports editors. Ideal candidates will have experience at a weekly or daily and a desire to move into management. Duties will include writing, managing a staff, page design and, most important, a desire to learn and grow while making a difference with your work while you hone your knowledge and skills. Email resume and a note of your interest to michele.gerlach@boonenewspapers.com

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This one of those papers that dropped AP wire as far back as 1999. I assume they got it back as soon as they learned the error of their ways ...

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Jeff Byrd, of Mississippi sportswriting fame, used to write for and/or edit this section.
    Can't remember if he actually was editor.
    He had some good things to say about this paper. But even more bad things.
    Sounds like a job for a first-time editor.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What if you don't "have a desire to move into management" and are content with being a good sports editor wherever you may be at the moment?

Is that some kind of Boone thing, that you have to be a Jefferson and get to movin' on up after a while?

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

I worked with Jeff a few years back, but not at Andalusia. I've also heard it's a place you want to stay far, far away from. Plus it's Boone and their 18 cents a mile crap. All those who are gluttons for punishment, apply soon.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I worked for five Boone papers, but not Andalusia. They train hard and promote quickly. No matter what homey the clown says, it's a good company. It's senior leadership (I don't know Michele) are great people. That's a statement I stand by adamantly.

7. times38

times38 Member

the publisher is top-notch. don't know anything about the rest of the staff. the paper got the wire back sometime in the last two years or so, and there are a ton of high school teams in that county to cover. very good for someone looking to get their foot in the door at a daily, but you will work hard. it's that way at every Boone paper. you get out what you put in.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

You made my point for me. You don't get anything out. Besides the low mileage pay,don't expect a raise. I have a friend who has been at a Boone paper for eight years without a raise. The only reason he stays, his wife has a super job in the area and they don't want to move, so he puts up with being underpaid.

9. times38

times38 Member

well, then your friend must not be very good at what he does. in my experience with the company they'll promote virtually anyone who shows a modicum of competence at what they do and show interest in sticking with the company.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]I've seen his name for the past six years on his state's press association awards, so I guess there are others who agree with you that he's not very good at what he does. [/blue]
    In the eight years with Boone, his milage rate has NEVER increased from 18 cents a mile. Damn, I wished I worked for them!

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

How's some kid with only three posts, all of them on this thread, gonna start talking smack? But thanks for stopping by Michele.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I got times38's back on this one. He/she is exactly right. I'm certainly no whiz kid and I got pay raises and promotions left and right. Ask HijeraHenry. He can account that I'm no genius. I'm decent, at best.

Sure, Boone's pay sucks, but if you work hard, it'll pay off in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted