1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Abilene, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by barton, Jun 18, 2010.

1. barton

barton New Member

I am looking for a sports editor. Greg Jaklewicz, our current sports editor, is taking the No. 2 position in the newsroom. He leaves behind a very well organized department that, from all I can see, has been happy with his leadership. This is a great prep sports community and our coverage of college and prep sports has been unrivaled (under his leadership) for the past two years. I'm looking for someone who has experience and is capable of helping us maintain and grow what is about 30-35 percent of our local news franchise. Below is the ad running on journalismjobs.com. You can contact me with any questions. cromeensb@reporternews.com or 325-670-5221

The Abilene Reporter-News, a mid-size E.W. Scripps daily in west-central Texas, is looking for an experienced, energetic person to lead its sports staff and evening operations. Job responsibilities include overseeing a four-person sports staff that covers three universities, three city high schools, and small-town teams in a 20-county area. Of course, being West Texas, football is king. Duties also include making sure deadlines are met and supervising the evening news reporter. The successful candidate will be a good planner with imaginative ideas for use of social media, web presentation and the use of staff, freelance and user generated content across a number of platforms.

Applicants should be hyper-organized and possess excellent planning, coordination and communication skills. We offer a salary commensurate with experience and three weeks vacation during the first year. Candidates should send a resume, short biography and philosophy of what a sports department should be to Editor Barton Cromeens at cromeensb@reporternews.com.

2. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Prettiest town I've ever seen.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Joe Allen's is good BBQ but kind of meh.

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Harold's and Joe Allen's ex-wife's place are much better, Last two times I went to Joe's the BBQ was dry, I'll take Sharon's over Joe's

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

GREAT high school football scene. Awesome high school sports scene in general. Pretty decent shop.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Back in the day, they'd have released the hounds for this one.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/62600/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48112/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/40540/

Of course situations change, and it sounds like this one has, at least at the top.

7. barton

barton New Member

Wicked,

The past is the past. I'm not saying that this department doesn't have one, but we have worked extremely hard to rebuild it - from the general philosophy regarding how sports news is handled to hiring at the line employee and management levels.

The new SE will inherit a department of four full-time staff writers. The least amount of experience (if I recall correctly) is 3 years. The most - 16-17 years. They all have good attitudes and do an admirable job of covering prep and collegiate sports in our area (and one IFL pro football team that has its issues).

Both management and sports reporters are given the resources needed to do a great job. Sports often finds itself on the front page of our newspaper - from issue stories to features.

I'll put staff writer Evan Ren (approx. 3 years with us) up against anybody for the way he has developed our area coverage. Sam Waller (1.5 yrs with us), Joey Richards (1.5 yrs with us) and Daniel Youngblood (nearly 3 years with us I believe) are all talented, love what they do and do outstanding work.

Current beat structure is one high school and one university per staff writer (with the exception of the area writer who works with the sports editor and freelancers to coordinate and cover 80 high schools in 23 counties).

Tuesday and Friday nights are like election night every week in our newsroom, and we have a great team covering all the bases.

If I were in the market for an SE job, I'd consider it because I know the current culture of the department and our community. It's a town where prep sports are a "closer-my-God-to-thee" form of religion.

Additionally, the next SE will have an ally in Greg Jaklewicz, the current SE who is taking the No. 2 position in the newsroom.

Dwell in the past and maybe you won't be able to see the opportunity. Cheese alert: I'd rather live in the present and the future, envisioning what all can be done to make it an even better department than it already is.

8. esport12

esport12 Member

This is a very solid shop, and I think writers around the state would agree. It has the potential to become really great, especially with the continuity and great coverage over the last 2-3 years. I know a couple of the writers up there, and they speak highly of their jobs.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

In doing some digging around, the old executive editor that caused so many headaches in the past (largely for hating sports and for running off a respected sports editor and multiple sports people) is gone.

That said, there are some solid sports guys there right now. They have done a good job of getting things back on track. Hope they get a good leader that can keep it going.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

barton, I wasn't trying to rip. The old Abilene threads were rather ... active. That's all.

11. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I'll agree with the sentiment that things have turned around for the better here. It was quite a joke for a while. But in my brief dealings with Barton and what I've heard about him, he seems like good people.

Oh, and I ate at Sharon Lytle's last night on my way through town. It's far superb to Joe Allen's. Kinda sad, really.

P.S., not many people know WTX prep football better than Sam Waller.

12. ArnoldPalmer

ArnoldPalmer New Member

Seems like a great job. Any idea on pay?
    How is the town? Are the schools good (in terms of academics- I know about sports)?

Draft saved Draft deleted