1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Abilene Reporter-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thegrifter, Oct 20, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

The Abilene Reporter-News, a mid-size E.W. Scripps daily in west-central Texas, is looking for an experienced, energetic person to lead its sports staff and evening operations. Job responsibilities include overseeing a four-person sports staff that covers three universities, three city high schools, and small-town teams in a 20-county area. Of course, being West Texas, football is king. Duties also include making sure deadlines are met and supervising the evening news reporter. The successful candidate will be a good planner with imaginative ideas for online videos and our Web site, and strong attention to detail.

Applicants should be hyper-organized and possess excellent planning, coordination and communication skills. We offer a salary commensurate with experience and three weeks vacation during the first year. Candidates should send a resume, short biography and philosophy of what a sports department should be to Content Director Larry Zelisko at zeliskol@reporternews.com or to 101 Cypress Street, Abilene, TX, 79601.

2. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Wasn't this position just filled not long ago?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if i were interested in this job, i'd ask how long it's been since there was a true SE sitting in this chair and who my ASE would be.

5. jps

jps Active Member

depends on what you mean by 'not long ago.' seems to me there's been a revolving door/thread with this one over the last, oh, two years or so. maybe longer.

6. jps

jps Active Member

that's all well and good, tom, but I hear they eat cows down there. so it's got that going.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't even get me started with mr. joe.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Based on how many times this job has been open since the early 2000s, my guess is management would lie about that. No ASE as far as I've heard.

9. Death

Death Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

That's it, I'm not applying for this gig. Death posted on the thread.

11. esport12

esport12 Member

Anyone know what happened to Brien Murphy over there. He was a good guy, and worked with him on a few occasions doing stringer work.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He left to move to Illinois, I believe, to be closer to his family.

He was the entertainment and sports editors and I'm sure the 60-70 hours a week were getting old.

Draft saved Draft deleted