1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor — Sioux City Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zach_James, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

This is the spot I'm leaving to take a high school PR gig. Any questions, feel free to holler. Best two ways to reach me are Twitter DMs (@ZacharyWJames) or email at zachary.w.james@gmail.com.

The Action!
    The news business never stops! The Sioux City Journal, a Lee Enterprises, Inc. publication is seeking an energetic Sports Editor to support company objectives by being part of a two-person sports department for our award-winning newspaper and website.
    This position requires night and weekend availability. A journalism, communications or English degree is required, and previous newspaper experience is preferred. Candidates also should have interest in and familiarity with high school sports.

Are you Ready?
    This position reports to the editor and position will have a mix of editing, administrative and writing duties including:
    • Running the night sports desk, including editing staff, freelance and wire copy to AP and local style while working with our regional design team to meet print deadlines.
    • Assigning photos and videos and updating social media feeds.
    • Writing stories, features and columns with a focus on high school and college teams in Northwest Iowa, Northeast Nebraska and Southeast South Dakota.
    • A willingness to be digitally savvy. Every game covered should have at least one video component to it, whether it be a highlight or an interview with an athlete.
    • A willingness to be on live video streams and podcasts. Knowledge of audio and video editing is helpful.
    • Required to do at least 2-3 desk shifts per week, either with print or E-Edition.
    • Being organized and coming with 100% energy on a daily basis is key to success.
    What’s in it for you?
    Besides working with at an amazing newspaper, the Sioux City Journal offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid time off and paid holidays. All applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check. Learn more or apply online using the link:

https://us62e2.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/leeenterprises/SITE/CANDIDATEPORTAL/Posting/View/18942

If you have the talent, we are looking for, apply at Join Our Team | Lee Enterprises and search for Sioux City, IA.

Lee Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer, and candidates must pass a post offer 4 panel drug screen, driving record check, background check and post offer physical screen.

2. Zach_James

Zach_James New Member

This position has been filled.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Iowa is Arkansas without mountains.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

What the hell does that even mean?

Liut likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

IdiotsOntheWaytoArkansas

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My favorite from when I attended University of Iowa was the saying that if the southern row of Iowa counties moved into Missouri, both states would get a lot smarter.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Also built on ROCK AND ROLL!!!1!

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It would mean, I think, that Iowa is damn flat.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So a journalism degree was mandatory but prior experience in journalism was only preferable?
    Does this mean, for example, that somebody with a track record of excellence in doing everything enumerated in the job description who happened to have majored in economics would have been given zero consideration?

MNgremlin, RonClements and Liut like this.
  10. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I have been in the industry for a decade but only minored in journalism. Guess I'm out.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted