1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor — The Natchez Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by natchezdemocrat, Dec 10, 2010.

1. natchezdemocrat

natchezdemocrat New Member

Sports editor
    Natchez Newspapers Inc., a media group in historic southwest Mississippi that publishes a daily newspaper, magazines and niche publications, is recruiting its next sports editor. The Natchez Democrat is a 10,000-circulation newspaper surrounded by seven high schools and one university. Ideal recruits will have sports experience at a weekly or daily, Quark or InDesign experience and an eye for the story behind the game. Although much of our coverage is of preps and Alcorn State University, we branch out to LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Miss and the New Orleans Saints when pertinent. Editor duties will include writing, managing the sports staff, page design and, most important, a desire to learn and grow while making a difference with your work while you hone your knowledge and skills. For more information contact Managing Editor Julie Cooper at julie.cooper@natchezdemocrat.com or 601-445-3551.
    www.natchezdemocrat.com

2. Charlie_Runkel

Charlie_Runkel New Member

There is a lot of turnover with the No. 2 sportswriter spot in this gig, but Julie is a great person and does a really good job.

3. natchezdemocrat

Our number two has currently been in the job for more than a year and is a solid reporter who is easy to work with.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

where is jeff edwards headed?

5. thebigd

thebigd Member

Anybody have any idea on pay?

6. natchezdemocrat

2underpar: Jeff is moving closer to his family.

thebidg: There's no set pay rate for this position; the salary depends on what the applicant brings to the table and what he does when he gets here.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Julie came after I left, but I've heard nothing but good things about her. Kevin Cooper was the ME while I was there and was a great guy to work for, and I'm sure he still is (I'm sure he's still there). I really disliked the editor who was there at the time, but she's long gone.

Pay will be low. Hours will be long. A young person will learn a ton. If you're new to the game, go to Natchez.

I still miss the town -- and several of its bars.

I remember stumbling out the door of a sports bar there at 6 a.m. once. The owner and I had become friends, and regularly got toasted after closing time. Outside the door when I stumbled out? Yep. Mrs. t_b_f. Haven't done that since.

Good times down in Natchez.

8. anonymous1

anonymous1 New Member

How quickly are they looking to fill the position?

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'd be willing to bet asap. small shop, ya know.

10. theg02guy

theg02guy New Member

This is a great paper to break into the business/learn what it takes to make it as a journalist. I wasn't in Natchez long, but I'll never forget my time there. I learned a lot, especially from Julie.

Applicants must be dedicated.

11. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

I would apply, but I'm sure it's the same shit - different day. One or two people in a sports department - with a boat load of schools who all want a picture and game story. Journalism is dying.

12. MusicalSportswriter

MusicalSportswriter New Member

How is Natchez as a town compared to Cleveland in the Mississippi Delta?

Draft saved Draft deleted