1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports ed for Arkansas daily

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by okrider, Sep 29, 2006.

1. okrider

okrider New Member

Sports editor wanted for mid-sized daily in north central Arkansas. A Gannett paper, we offer unlimited potential for advancement, excellent benefits and $24,000 to $32,000 a year. The perfect candidate will have proven leadership and communications skills, solid sports experience, fluency in AP style and Quark pagination, and familiarity with sports photography. Online, video and audio experience a plus. Coverage includes prep (5 schools), water sports and outdoors. Join an award-winning team and enjoy the good life. Send cover letter, samples, references and resume to: Managing Editor, PO Box 1750, Mountain Home, AR 72654 or kbranam@baxterbulletin.com.

2. Look down the list of other jobs and you'll see this one already posted.

3. ah, trying to change it up some.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Harrison rules.

5. yeah, Marvin Harrison is pretty good

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Communication skills. Someone told me the editor of this paper has no idea of how to communicate. Either she's so far out of touch with high school ball, which is about all they have there, or she's so far up Gannett's butt as a rookie that she's confused by their very strategy. My source says they have a lot of outdoor angles here, but they have an outdoor writer. So what the fuck do they want, seeing as how this job has been open for months? Or is this just the typical sit on a job opening and pull in the profits? I can't begin to imagine a paper going an entire sports season without an SE, especially a small outfit. There's no telling what dweeb they wind up with at this rate.

7. well you can sum up this ME they have there in two words: mo ron. As clueless as a lot of Gannett higher-ups are, she is 10 times as bad. She obviously doesn't need to be in the business

8. okrider

okrider New Member

Printdust - I'd sure like to know who this outdoor writer is that I have. And yes, it's been tough not having a sports editor for the season. What would you suggest we do? Would you like to apply?

And googly - I'm sorry you're disillusioned with Gannett. And with me. But moron is one word.

9. Okrider, I guess it depends on the type of person you want as your sports editor.
    Would you prefer young but hungry, or do you want experience? Who knows: if you look in the right places, there might even be an experienced person that is still hungry.
    The person is out there that can fill your need. The question is: how hard are you looking in trying to find this person?

10. lurking

lurking New Member

Hey okrider,
    I started my career as sports editor in Mountain Home. I'd be glad to come back and we'd have the best sports section in the state for a paper of our size and one of the best overall. All I need is $50,000 a year.
    I suspect that the reason you're having difficulty hiring someone is that you don't want to pay a decent salary. The paper was lucky for a long-time to have a homer sports editor who didn't care what he was paid as long as he got to wear his Bombers rally cap in the press box.
    Of course, I could be way off. If you really want to spend the money to be the best, give me a shout.

11. I think my point was proven. And by the way, we are starting on week 7 of the high school football season. WEEK 7! And from what I've heard, you don'tneed to apologize to me. I think there is someone else over there that you owe a big apology to.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Me apply? I'd be wasting my time and yours. My price is too high, my experience is too broad. My sources say you've fumbled on two damn good candidates for reasons all your own.

Draft saved Draft deleted