1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Desker -- The (Pocatello) Idaho State Journal,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jan 6, 2011.

  1. dkphxf

    dkphxf Member

    Come join the fast-moving motivated staff of Southeastern Idaho's top daily newspaper, the Idaho State Journal (circulation 20,000). We need a sports desk person who can paginate four pages a night, take some phone calls and write a story now and then. If you can't handle the pressure of deadlines, this job is not for you. We need someone who can work quickly and produce a quality product. Attention to detail is vital. We post to our Internet site often and that will be one of the responsibilities of the position. The Idaho State Journal is located in Pocatello, a city of 55,000 that has been nationally recognized as one of the best places in the country for low cost of living, family atmosphere and outdoor recreation (hiking, skiing and biking). Pocatello is also home to Division I Idaho State University. If you are interested in this position, send a resume and clips to jheater@journalnet.com. The position opens in late January.

    Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1224057
  2. thebigd

    thebigd Member

    I've know Jay Heater a long time, and he's a good guy. I talked to him before regarding the job, and he told me that he wants to be out writing most of the time which is why this is a desk job. I think this is a 3 or 4-person staff
  3. It's a three-person staff right now, and we would like to add a part-timer later. Yes, Jay wants to be writing more and wants the same for me, which is why this position is about 90 percent pagination, with the other 10 percent being taking coaches' calls and an occasional story. The guy in this job is leaving to pursue a radio job.

    The salary isn't great, I can tell you that right now. It'd be in the low 20's. The good news is that if you're single and young, you can definitely live on that in Pocatello. The cost of living is ridiculously low for this place (I pay $500 for a two-bedroom apartment AFTER utilities) and there are several options in the city.

    If you're just out of school and want a design job, absolutely apply here. Jay will definitely make you better. Anyone wants any details, send me a message.
  4. Stitch

    Stitch Active Member

    Wow, someone bolting newspapers for the stability of radio.
  5. The guy's in his late forties and just wants to go back to what he likes doing in an area he likes.
  6. The position has been filled.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page