1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports desk editor -- Easton, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

From jj.com

Company: The Express-Times
    Position: SEEKING SPORTS DESK EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 19, 2007
    Job ID: 731723

Description:
    The Express-Times is seeking an experienced editor with strong copy editing skills and a flair for layout — someone who will be a go-to person in our sports department. You must possess the ability to write stories and headlines, process agate and organize a section from start to finish with quality news judgment. You must be organized, extremely detail-oriented and equipped to use the Web to break news and deliver real-time scores. The job requires working nights and weekends. Send a letter of application, a resume and work samples to sports editor Barry Miller at bmiller@express-times.com or at The Express-Times, 30 N. Fourth St., Easton, PA 18044-0391.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you're looking to move to a Newhouse/Advance newspaper, this is a good one. Located about 2 hours due west of NYC and about 1-1/2 hours north of Philly. In Pennsylvania its the northern fringes of the Philly market. It's also right next to the Allentown/Bethlehem area so there's several colleges in the area for a nightlife. Plus Allentown is getting the Yankees' AAA farm team this year. For preps you've got the high school teams on the Pennsylvania side of the river, plus a handful of teams in northwest NJ.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The Yankees AAA team is playing in Scranton. The Phillies AAA team will be in Allentown next year. I don't like the way this paper looks. It used to look pretty good, but now it's terrible. Every single story has a subhead and so do all the jumps. Looks like ass.

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

Didn't the E-T post this opening back in January ???

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You're right about the baseball, got my relocations mixed up.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Now that you mention they did. I'd work there to write, but not to design. Paper looks like crap.

7. So does anyone know what percentage of the job is design and how much you're likely to actually write?

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but Easton, as an ex-Singleton paper, is a few steps behind other Newhouse papers on compensation. Or at least on salary. Just a word of warning.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Sounds like no writing to me and that's unfortunate b/c the writing the have is actually decent and the preps compete on a state level in just about every sport.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still better than most.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Better than most? What's most?

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This always baffles me when people say that the preps teams are top-notch, as if it makes the job more attractive. What difference does it make to your career? When you send out your clips, preps are preps. The only difference between good preps and bad preps is the amount of recruiting stories you'll do, and as the local paper, there's something wrong with you if you don't break those. The thing with the Easton area is that the best sport is probably going to be wrestling, which to many parts of the country is just rugby minus the ball. Not saying this is not a good job, but a team's state title does nothing for you. You can win awards covering shitty preps, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted