1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Desk Editor, Easton, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Company: The Express-Times
    Position: SEEKING SPORTS DESK EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: March 5, 2007
    Job ID: 731723

Description:
    The Express-Times is seeking an experienced editor with strong copy editing skills and a flair for layout — someone who will be a go-to person in our sports department. You must possess the ability to write stories and headlines, process agate and organize a section from start to finish with quality news judgment. You must be organized, extremely detail-oriented and equipped to use the Web to break news and deliver real-time scores. The job requires working nights and weekends. Send a letter of application, a resume and work samples to sports editor Barry Miller at bmiller@express-times.com or at The Express-Times, 30 N. Fourth St., Easton, PA 18044-0391.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Decent 50K owned by Newhouse, but half the size of its competitor in Allentown, which staffs Philly pros. Easton has Lafayette College, D-I basketball and I think Patriot League FB. Lehigh is in nearby Bethlehem. Wrestling is huge on high school and major-college levels. Philly Eagles train around there.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Lehigh Valley is a nice area in which to raise a family. And with three good-sized towns back-to-back-to-back (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton), you generally don't run out of things to do.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And with the AAA team coming to Allentown in 2008, you'll be in even better shape.

Scranton and Philly an hour away, NYC 90 minutes-ish. And The Express-Times covers the Iggles, too.

Don't know how well pay would be compared to most Newhouse papers, since they bought the paper only a few years ago from Lean Dean.

5. BuzzerShot

BuzzerShot Guest

It's been a while since I've been there, but for what it's worth, Barry is one of the good guys, I'm sure he's the kind of boss you'd want.

6. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

This is a good, solid gig. The E-T sports staff competes with, and often beats, the much bigger Allentown Morning Call on a lot of local stuff and Barry Miller is one of the real good guys in this business.

7. sportsreporter3535

sportsreporter3535 New Member

With all due respect, shotglass, you must be talking about a different Lehigh Valley if you think there is always something to do...

As you said, it's a great place to raise a family. Terrible for anyone under the age of 30, though.

8. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Sounds like you'd likely work with or for Ed Laubach, their executive SE ... another good guy.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton are old industrial towns that have seen better days, true. But they are big college towns. Lehigh, Lafayette and Muhlenburg are for very bright kids. There are some average colleges, too. Anyway, you've got a 20,000 or so college kids there, so how bad could it be if you're 21-30 and working on the paper?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

All this, and Dorney's for a day of water fun minutes away ... how can you ask for more?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given the proximity to the cities, I wouldn't worry even if life there were less than stellar.

12. Oscar_Madisoy

Oscar_Madisoy Member

Actually, Ed Laubach is retiring, which has created the opening.

If anyone is interested in any more details on this one, I can help. Send me a PM.

Draft saved Draft deleted