1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Tacoma News Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Aug 27, 2006.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?Media=all&JobID=671590
    I know one of these was just posted in the spring, but Tacoma is looking again. Now, we've gone down the bashing route with a few folks in the past thread, so please just try and keep this one away from that. If you missed it, go back to the old thread and read up, just don't repeat said things here, please.

The TNT lost a great designer (hey buddy, we miss you already!) to another paper and is looking to fill big shoes. Please pass this along to any friends looking for a great opportunity to move to Puget Sound and/or get in at a great paper.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, i love this town. move on this one quickly.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Lots of openings here lately? Red flags?

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Don't know shit about Tacoma or pretty much anything west of Texas. But RW knows his shit and knows it like a mother. Or at least he did when I worked with him. Can't imagine anything's changed.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, no red flags. large paper and staff that has opening come around the bend from time to time. quality section (i know first-hand) and quality folks working there from what i understand.

i've weighed in on what i think about the city on a different thread and how i think the paper handled a huge specific news story years ago. bottom line for me, though, is would i work for the tribune's sports department ... hell yes. i'd just live outside city limits.

6. Obviously, I can answer any questions in PM also.

This is a great job for a designer who wants to live in the Northwest (it's been a stunningly beautiful summer) and likes some freedom with pages and content. The paper's visual style is quite flexible, so you can have fun.

And the staff is solid. Except for Ducky.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Just be glad you're not within reach right now, SD, or there'd be a nerf football headed your way.

8. waterboy

waterboy Member

No red flags here. Openings don't come around often at the TNT, and in the past two cases it was a matter of opportunities arising elsewhere (major metro, ESPN).

This is a great job, a great chance to work with/learn from good, smart people. If you have lead design experience, pounce on this. Now.

PM for more.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey ducky, you hire people who hate tacoma and the whole brame thing but love the sports section?

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If I hired people, I'd give it a thought. I didn't like Tacoma (the town, not the paper) before I arrived. Things can change.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm interested ducky, about how close were you to tacoma before you moved there? had you even been there just once, had you been there often?

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Born and raised in Seattle until college. Had friends who lived in Tacoma in HS that I visited regularly.

Draft saved Draft deleted