1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designer, San Bernardino Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by buckweaver, Mar 27, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Due to several recent departures throughout the newsroom, a designer position has opened up in the sports department of the San Bernardino Sun/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (combined circulation of 128,000.)

This hire is strictly for the desk. No writing will be involved. Design and copy editing experience is required, preferably at a daily newspaper. Leadership experience in a newsroom environment is also a plus. All serious applicants will be considered, but we are looking to bring someone in ASAP

We are based in a sparkling new two-story office about a mile down the road from Cal State San Bernardino. We recently converted to the Unisys system of pagination -- on which we share a network with all the other papers in the Los Angeles Newspaper Group -- so prior knowledge or experience of Unisys would be a plus.

Please send resume and 6-8 design clips to Sports Editor Louis Brewster at 2239 Gannett Parkway, San Bernardino, CA, 92407. No phone calls. E-mail: louis.brewster@sbsun.com.

PM me for questions, and good luck.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What's the pay like and will you have to sit next to Gluck?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You won't sit next to Gluck (maybe me, though), and pay's decent (mid-$30s). That's two huge plusses right there. ;D

Still negotiable, dependent upon skill/experience. Same as everywhere else.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have vast knowledge of this place (combined 12 years there) and this area (30-plus years) so feel free to PM me as well.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just to clarify ... this is San Bernadino, not Santa Barbara.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There's no Crazy Wendys here, correct. :D

7. How often is Lean Dean in the heezy?

8. Fantastic. :D

9. joe

joe Active Member

I'm hired! No, wait ...

10. The JOB Squad

The JOB Squad New Member

I'm happy to say that Gluck is the newest writer for NASCAR Scene magazine (which is why there is more than one opening at what I think is a great paper). As his former boss in Rocky Mount, N.C. (where legends were made, I may add), I'm thrilled to see him advancing to the top of the food chain in NASCAR. He's in Colorado right now making the long drive to Charlotte. His first race will be the one in Phoenix in April.

End it!
    JOB

11. m2spts

m2spts Member

Louie Brewster is a good guy, too.
    We crossed paths years ago when I worked in SoCal.
    Go for it.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I wouldn't say a "great" paper. Maybe 10 years ago. Certainly not since Singleton took over. It's a shell of its former self. But you could do worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted