1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer/reporter, Odessa American

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Football_Bat, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

An award-winning newspaper in a great news town needs a hard-working sports designer/reporter who can do it all. We need someone who wants to make a difference for readers both in print and online. You’ll be working in an area rich in sports tradition, made famous by Friday Night Lights the book and movie. Odessa has two Class 5A high schools — Permian and Odessa High — that are rich in tradition in all sports. The Permian Basin also features a Double-A baseball team, a CHL hockey team, an Indoor Football team, a four-year university and two junior colleges. The Odessa American covers 20 area high schools, many of which are successful on the state level. Send a resume, clips and references to Sports Editor Chris Gove at cgove@oaoa.com or to Chris Gove, sports editor, 222 E. Fourth Street, Odessa TX 79762. No calls. Employment contingent on passing a criminal background check and a drug test.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This was up before, was it not?

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

If I recall this was a popular job on the board around this time last year, then for whatever reason it was put on hold.

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

My first question is what beat would this reporter/designer cover? As a designer in a paper like this, it's nearly full-time, right? Exactly how would you have time for anything other than football stringer?
    I would like the IFL beat, though! :)

5. grandkamloops

grandkamloops New Member

From what I hear, Tim Martin of the Troy (N.Y.) Record accepted this job. Then he received about 10 phone messages and multiple e-mails and never responded.

So, this one is back open.

From what I hear, it's mainly a design job.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dude, why put the guy's name out there? That's not cool on any level.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Wow! My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't put a name out there. With two posts, I wonder if grandkamloops works at the American and wants to get even.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

What's the big deal for naming someone who accepted and then apparently rejected the job? I don't mean to be argumentative. I'd just like to know.

9. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Maybe because he didn't want any other paper to make the mistake of offering the guy for him to ignore them after accepting.

Draft saved Draft deleted