1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Smokey33, Aug 7, 2006.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

So how ended up getting it?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How who?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not necessarily well, not on par with NYT, WP, LAT. I was told that the standard offer was $50 per week more than you were making, plus the speil about no state income tax, which is exactly the offer they made me in the 1980s and which I accepted coming from a paper about half the Herald's size at the time. People complained all the time, people left for more money all the time, but it was enough money for me to live in a very nice apartment across the street from the ocean and eat very well.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

I should add that they also were very free about paying OT, actually more than you really wanted. You got paid OT just about every week on that desk. You didn't have a lot of free time to spend all that money.

5. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

A good reason to never let a prospective employer know your current salary.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

You don't necessarily have to tell them; they have other ways to find out.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

And how would they find out? I don't think (or at least I'd hope) that my employer wouldn't share that information with another paper.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Some would. Also, you have to understand that the Miami SE at the time was A.) the best, most knowledgeable recruiter I've ever seen, B.) was friends with a lot of sports editors, C.) had probably at one time recruited someone else from your paper and D.) if he couldn't get the info, the newsroom's beancounter, a former SE, certainly would have.

9. Pops

Pops Member

(... bumping real threads to the top ...)

10. Darned if I can figure out how to send a personal message.
    Can anyone help me out? Thanks ................

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Press alt-F4 and it brings the box right up.

12. the herald is famous for asking how much you make, then offering $50 more a week. so the standard offer is $2,600 a year more than wherever you came from, or whatever you're about to do for the herald.

once you get in there, you can't jump a level or two no matter what you do. corporate line is, what you came in at is your base value, and everything stems (very conservatively) from that. i knew a woman who couldn't get her salary bumped up 20 percent for the promotion she was offered, but they hired someone from the outside for the same money she wasn't allowed to have, saying that no one inside is allowed to have that salary jump........or whatever. ..........so they rewarded the outside hire the money they denied the woman who worked hard to get the same deal, and she was already working hard inside the miami herald.

that's what it's like at the miami herald. she doesn't work there anymore, and neither do i, thank god. worst place i ever worked, with a capital FUCK, and you can quote me on that one.

word inside, though, is that morale is at the all-time low, probably because all they do now is hire young and cheap.......emphasis on cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted