1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Lynchburg News & Advance

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Steve Trosky, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

I'm getting ready to post an ad on jjobs, but wanted to give everybody a heads up.

The News & Advance, an APSE award-winning 38,000 circulation newspaper in Central Virginia, is anticipating an opening for sports designer. The person who gets this job will design pages, edit copy and pitch in on prep calls and local roundups. We're looking for somebody with design and copy editing experience who is willing to take chances with their designs and offer fresh ideas. Experience working with Photoshop and Illustrator is preferred. This is an excellent opportunity for somebody looking to take a step up. We have a great staff and we're getting better. Please send cover letter, resume and 5-7 page samples to Steve Trosky, c/o The News & Advance, P.O. Box 10129, Lynchburg, Va., 24506, or e-mail them to strosky@newsadvance.com. No phone calls, please.

And for those wondering...

Anticipating?

Yes. We have a design opening in features and one of our sports designers would like better hours (you know, M-F, 9-5), so he is taking the position. We're just waiting for it to become official. It could be tomorrow. It could be next month.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Still, you could do a lot worse than Lynchburg when it comes to MG.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Good, good people in Lynchbug.
    Hell, Cold Pizza almost went there.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you've got questions, PM me. This position won't go unfilled, I can guarantee that. The holdup is in how quickly the sports designer will move to features.

5. SuperDeuce

SuperDeuce Member

They definitely have talent in the sports department. Chris Lang especially. He's very good.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Very good paper. Don't expect to make much money, though.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Lang is a dickbox. :D

Lynchburg is a damn good paper, with some damn good people. I've never heard a bad thing about Trosky either, for that matter.

It's apparently the "golden paper" of the non-big three for MG.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What IJAG said. After the MG holy trinity of Tampa, Richmond and Winston-Salem, Lynchburg usually starts the next tier.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

This is going to sound dumb, maybe because most designers think of the front page of the section first, but I generally like what they do with their inside pages. They have a way of making sure people know that just because something isn't on the front -- like days when UVA, Tech and Liberty are all playing -- that it doesn't mean it isn't important.
    I'd like to see more papers find a way to do that.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Echoing what others have said: a good, good place to go. I was able to have beers with a few of their guys over the weekend, and the folks I know are excellent people.

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Whoever takes this job, however, will be forced to drink Natty Light.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

I disagree. I shared some pricey Bud Light with some of the NandA guys at the Lynchburg Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted